→1.12←

June could barely focus during the town hall meeting called in the church. As Cassandra explained the plan she saw for their future in their new replica home, June couldn't help but let her eyes rest on Allie. Even when Cassandra asked fro a show of hands, June had to be nudged by some random kid next to her to join in. She wasn't used to feeling so out of it.

She was thankful when the meeting ended and she was able to look at the job assignments posted. According to Cassandra, Gordie had started working on them the second Cassandra even mentioned it. The older Pressman girl had also informed June about the upcoming prom they were throwing, but she really didn't want to think much about that.

June made her way towards the small group of people huddled around the posted job assignment. Her eyes landed on a heap of curly blonde hair only a few steps ahead of her and her stomach immediately clenched. She could recognize Allie anywhere. The two hadn't spoken much since the kiss, and all June wanted was to talk to her.

"Hey," The brunette worked up the nerve and spoke softly. Allie turned her head slowly, her expression falling she laid eyes on the other girl.

"Oh, hey," Her voice was strained and distant, and after giving a slight nod of the head she trained her eyes forward.

"How have you been?" June asked, mentally cursing herself for how stupid the question was. The group in front of them was slowly starting to disperse so that they would be able to see the sheet soon.

"Um, as good as I can be, I guess," Allie pressed her lips into a firm line, pushing forward now so that they can both see.

"Look, I just think maybe we should talk..." June sighed, wishing Allie would even look at her. The blonde girl's eyes were focused on the sheet of paper as her expression hardened.

"They picked you..." Allie murmured, seemingly more to herself than to June.

"What?" June furrowed her eyebrows together. Her eyes traced to where Allie's finger was placed on the sign up sheet.

Typed in big, bold letters was the members of the town's new council. Cassandra was the first on it, which came as no shock. As June let her eyes trace over the other member's names, her mouth fell slightly agape as she read her own. Then, a feeling of immense guilt washed over her as she realized Allie's wasn't there.

"Allie, I didn't know they would—" June started to try and defend herself before she was cut off.

"Save it," Allie murmured before quickly storming off.

June whirled around, letting her eyes follow the girl as she hurried away. She knew going after her would just make things worse, no matter how badly she wanted to. The group of people who had been in line to check their assignment looked between June and Allie, exchanging uncomfortable glances in the meantime. June quickly regained her composure, not wanting to be apart of the town's gossip, before taking off in the opposite direction.

She realized she'd have to figure out how to get Allie back later. It would drive her crazy if she didn't.

June's fingers curled around the tray of food in her hands as she glanced around the cafeteria. Ever since her fight with Allie, she had felt really alone, and often found herself spending her time in solitude. She didn't want to be the loser who sat alone at lunch, but as she glanced around, she realized she might not have any other option.

"June!" A timid voice called out, saving her from the embarrassment and solitude she feared. Her head shot up in the direction of the voice, and a small smile settled on her face as she realized it was Elle shyly waving her over.