13

"So," Ivan asked Amelia, "you're friends with my sister, da?"

"Uh, yeah," Amelia answered nonchalantly. "I thought that was obvious."

Before more could be said, the scene continued. The walk was long and tedious. Although Natalia told him not to talk, he kept talking. She didn't once stop him, though; just as happy (of course not showing it) at having a new friend. Eventually, she joined in the conversation, mainly because he kept asking questions.

"So," Alfred said, "Iggy never told me why we hide who we are. Why is that?"

Natalia rolled her eyes, "because people will get angry at you for their wars."

"Oh... What about bosses? 'Cause my bosses know..."

"That's fine, just don't let them tell everyone."

Alfred just nodded. "So, uh, what other nations should I become friendly with?"

"How would I know?"

"Aren't you like popular? You look so nice!"

Natalia stopped in her tracks once again. "Up ahead is big brother's place, I leave you here."

"Why? Don't want to see your brother? I get that, I don't want to see Mattie right now either."

Natalia just stayed quiet and started walking away. Alfred looked down, hoping they were still friend, but then he looked up and forward. He had to meet Russia.

As he marched on, he suddenly got a cold feeling.

"Who are you?" A very tall, shadowy figure asked.

Of course, that scared Alfred up the wazoo. He seemingly jumped ten feet in the air (probably just a trick of the eye) and cowardly hid behind a rock. Remember, this was before he learned to be a hero.

"I-I'm Alfred," the stuttering young nation said. "Who are you?"

"I am Ivan," Ivan of the past said, "or Mother Russia. Now, who are you?"

"O-oh, you're- you're Russia?"

"Yes, why are you still hiding behind that rock?"

Ivan came forward slightly and finally saw Ivan clearly. He didn't look to bad, nice even. So, Alfred came out from behind the rock and extended his hand, as if nothing had happened.

"I'm Alfred," he said. "Wait... I already told you that... Anyway, I'm Alfred or the United States of America!"

"Ah," a sound of recognition, "I remember working with that Adams fellow a few years back. He was so nice."

"That's great because now he's my boss."

The scene faded out as a new one entered. Alfred was shaking hands with Ivan and then waved goodbye.

That was a quick little short scene that ended rather fast. The next scene was Alfred striding into Adams' office. Only problem, it was no longer Adams in there. A very angry man was sitting behind the desk.

"What are you doing in here?" the man asked in a very aggressive tone.

"I just came back from my trip to see Russia," Alfred was very timid. "I'm assuming you're my new boss?"

"Oh, your him."

He said with such disgust, like he had to go through another hoop to do what he wanted. Alfred just smiled softly at that man, a little wary, but nonetheless excited to work with this man. Problem was, the next this the man said crushed Alfred's hope that this man will be lenient.

"I need you to clear out this land," he said as he pulled out a map of the southern U.S.

"Clear this land of what?" Alfred asked warily

"Of those horrible Indians."

Alfred was taken aback, "Um, I can't do that. It's where their homes are. Anyway, where are they supposed to go?"

"They are going here," he pointed to a place on the map that was circled.

"But that's hundreds of miles of walking! I'm not doing it! Na'á would not approve!"

The man, Andrew Jackson, got up and stalked over to Alfred, causing said nation to back up against the wall. Jackson promptly slapped Alfred, hard.

"I don't know what devil language you speak," Jackson started yelling, "or how long you fight with me on this, but you are doing this!"

Alfred slowly nodded, holding his cheek, tears could be seen starting to form in his eyes.

Before more could be said, a new scene started. Alfred was now Amelia, standing in front of Jackson's office, scared to enter. She was visibly shaken. She
held her head up high and knocked on the heavy door.

"Come in," Jackson's voice resonated throughout the space.

Amelia took a shaky breath and entered the man's office. "You asked for me?"

"Yes, I'm informing you that we have a funeral to attend. So, get dressed up."

"Yes, mister President."

Quickly the scene changed, and a gunshot was heard. Then another. A man was standing there with two pistols pointed at Jackson, but clearly they misfired. Jackson took his cane and started beating the man down. He didn't even notice that Amelia was shot. She was still standing, but in shock of being shot once more.

When a crowd started to notice what was going on, the man was quickly restrained. A man from the crowd was quick to point out that Amelia was shot. Jackson looked at the nation and scoffed, muttering something under his breath.

The scene ended with Amelia being carried away and Jackson following.

The next president was Martin Van Buren, Amelia stood in front of him. A shouting match was occurring.

"But sir," she started. "These people are just that, people! They deserve to be free just like anybody else!"

"This is exactly what I mean," Van Buren retorted, "this abolitionism business is the biggest threat around!"

The scene ended with some more screaming from both parties, leading into the next scene with Alfred screaming at a doctor.

"What do you mean he's dead?!" he screamed out, tears falling down his face.

"I'm sorry," the doctor said. "He got sick really fast and his body couldn't handle it."

"He's only been in office a month! I can't lose him! He was so nice too."

The nations watched the scenes with intrigue and horror. Amelia had been through so much with the last few presidents. They all hoped she would get a break sometime soon, but they had no idea what was coming up.