Chapter 38

Skyler pushed the last of the boxes against the wall, clearing a path. Each box had her name and rank. She was a lieutenant colonel apparently, and she wondered if that was even possible given that she didn't have all a lot of physical survival skills. Then again, Military Intelligence probably had different criteria than Ops. They'd brought the boxes out of storage and dumped them in the small house on the backside of the military base. Nothing about the house or the base seemed familiar. She considered opening the boxes and burrowing through until she found something familiar, but it seemed like a waste of time. Those memories were gone. Hopefully the doctor was right and her memories would return in time, but she couldn't wait around for that to happen. She had to rebuild a life, one with Teegan in it – if he'd have her.

Halsey remained outside her house, though he didn't say why, just that those were his orders. He gave her a reassuring smile, but it didn't relieve her stress. Nothing would until she had a chance to speak with Teegan. She hoped Wicks didn't throw him in a cell for disobeying him. Maybe Halsey would know. She opened the door to ask him, and there stood Teegan, about to knock.

All that time worrying about him, thinking he was dead, and then seeing him alive caught up to her. Everything she'd wanted to say to him disappeared from her head. And then the corner of his mouth quirked up.

"I feel like my ass is hanging out here in the cold, Princess. Aren't you going to invite me in?

"Always so polite, Teegan," she said, holding the door open as he entered.

"Nice place. Like what you've done with it. White walls and boxes. Maybe you should hack into a design firm and steal some plans for this place."

"They're not worth opening," she said, moving another box against the wall. "They belong to another person. One I'll never know."

"At least dig in there to see if you have some fancy lingerie."

She couldn't help but laugh. "Is that all you think about?"

"No, but I like lacey things on beautiful ladies." He pulled a box open. "Or leather..."

"God, Teegan, you're making me wet and you haven't even touched me."

He pressed her to a wall. "So I have permission to touch you, then? Wicks was really clear that I need to have permission from you before I touch you. He lectured me for over an hour on the subject."

She swallowed as his hard length pressed against her, his arms still at his side, his mouth an inch from her lips. "What will I get in exchange for you giving you permission?"

His scent filled her, teased he as he eyes raked over her and that wicked grin of his surfaced. "Anything you want, Princess."

"Ooh, an open-ended offer. But I'm still not sure. I think you need to convince me of your skills – without using your hands."

"I like a challenge," he rasped before his mouth overtook hers. His hands glided from the back of her neck to the front, his thumb along her jaw, as if he were memorizing every nuance of her flesh. As his hands worked their way over her breasts and down her ribs before returning to her face, he broke the kiss. "Gods, I've missed you," he said, as he caressed her cheek with his thumb.

"I said no hands."

"Fuck that." He lifted her shirt and started stroking her nipples.

The warmth that washed over her was familiar, yet new. It brought promise with it that she hadn't known before. Then the memory of Teegan rushing back into the lab popped into her head, breaking her ability to focus.

"I saw the lab, after the acid bombs. I thought you were..." she couldn't say the words and then he pressed his mouth to hers, so she wouldn't have to. Those memories faded away, at least for the moment. Teegan was determined to give her new memories.

Maybe he had the right of it. Forget the past, live in the present. He was here, and he was all she needed.

Her hands wandered down the front of his chest, past his washboard abs to the top of his pants as his mouth found her breast. Her fingers glossed over his hard cock and he pressed into her hand. It wasn't enough, as some of the old fears began to rise. She needed to feel him, skin to skin, inside of her, so she would know he was really here, with her.

She unzipped his pants and his cock sprang free, a delicious smile curling on his face. His hand was already under her skirt, brushing against her clit through the wet panties. Then she felt her panties being yanked down, fast, making her forget everything except the man before her. Skyler hooked one leg around his back. He growled slightly as his hands slid under her ass. With a slight jump, she hooked her other leg behind him and locked her ankles.

With one gentle, slow stroke, he sank into her, as if he'd never left her. His thrusts were slow, almost reverent as he held her to him. One hand moved from beneath her, and she clamped her arms around his back, afraid he'd drop her, but he held strong as he placed his free hand behind her head to cushion it from striking the wall as his thrusts intensified.

"Two days to find you," he said, his breath ragged. "Never felt so scared."

Apparently, he was battling some fears of his own. His pace picked up, as if he could pound his frustration and fear away. She knew how he felt, for she'd been crushed thinking he'd died in that lab.

Her muscles tightened low in her belly. She pushed her chest close to his, lifting up slightly and changing the angle. He moaned and slammed her into the wall, throwing her over the edge. The wave of pure sweet ecstasy poured over her, reminded her of the man she'd nearly lost. Sweet deep moans spilled from Teegan's lips as he thrust one last time and held himself inside her. Never had she felt so close, so complete as in that moment.

He placed a small kiss at the side of her neck. "I don't want to lose you," he whispered as she unlocked her legs and he eased her to the floor. He leaned his forehead against hers, as one hand stayed on her hip, under her skirt.

The old fear returned. He was leaving her. This time for good.