Chapter 13

Teegan couldn't contain the smile as he looked down at Skylar sleeping on his lap. He continued petting her hair, humbled by how at ease she was with him. Why she'd come out into the cold corridor was beyond him. It wasn't the cleanest, it smelled horrible, and it was a popular spot for quickies from what he'd seen. Three couples in two hours. These people had no sense of privacy.

Even asleep, his Skylar was beautiful, maybe more so without all that worry weighing her down. He'd almost slipped up, telling her Hunter's profession, but he caught himself. She was too tired to notice. As he lifted her and the blanket, he kissed the top of her head.

"What's up, big guy?" she murmured, snuggling against him.

"Taking you to bed."

"Thought you'd never ask," she said, a smile gracing her face even though her eyes were still closed.

It didn't take much to stir his cock these days. He laid her down on the cot, but she grabbed his hand as he turned towards the door. "Stay," she said, half asleep.

The idea of sitting out there didn't thrill him, not when he could be in here with her. It wouldn't hurt to catch a few hours of real sleep. He shoved the metal table up against the door. It wouldn't prevent anyone from entering, but they'd make enough noise to wake him and give him the few seconds he'd need.

"I'm trusting you with my virtue," he said as he lowered himself onto the mattress behind her.

"I'm glad you trust me with something," she said as she pushed her body back into the curve of his.

Her shapely ass wiggled against his cock, making him rethink his 'sleep only' policy. Before Teegan could figure what, if anything should be his next move with her, he heard the soft steady breath of her sleeping. He wrapped his arm around her and pulled her against his chest. The frustration of the day's events slowly melted away, but not the fear.

He'd researched Diamond while waiting for the reset on his computer's security sub-routines to unlock his ship's door. His real name was Garrox, and he was a middle man who only took high-paying jobs. That meant everything from rich people and corporations with big budgets and no morals down to terrorist groups. He had a reputation as being ruthless in his job and for never failing a client. It was that last part that worried Teegan. Garrox would come for Skylar at some point, and he'd have to sit back and let him take her. It wasn't fair or right, and he couldn't say anything to prepare her for it. He was obligated to turn her over to them, despite the fact that it went against everything he was.

Thoughts of what could happen to her haunted him, making sleep near impossible. But the alternative, keeping her out of Garrox's reach was potentially much worse. Teegan pulled Skylar closer. There was a very real chance he'd lose her, and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it.