Scene 5 - Storage

Sarah has sat on her own again in the laboratory. She sits fascinated in the seat with the powerful Orb on the desk. It gleams with such beauty and brightness that it can't make you look away almost, as though in some ways it is hypnotic. She still can't stop looking into it. As a resourceful young journalist she is, she has an idea on how to protect it. She gets flashbacks and images of the virus and the plants withering on the planet Cutex. In an effort to resist her fears and the virus creature from what she believes in getting its hands on it, she hovers both her hands over the energy source. The chemicals inside begin to react. The energy begins to follow her hands, to become even more brightening. It begins to read her.

Sarah:

Hello? My name is Sarah, Sarah Jane Smith. Am I communicating to you? I'm talking to a chemical mixture if otherwise.

She gently places both her hands on it. It scans her. She closes her eyes in pain as the source scans her for any possible threat. Eventually, it releases her. The Orb is still calm, and Sarah begins talking to it once again.

Listen. If you can hear me, then I want you to understand I am going to protect you. I'm going to put it somewhere safe for you.

Now it is safe for her to pick up, she takes the Orb and opens and passes through the lab door. Walking carefully with the Orb out in front of her, she almost bumps into Sergeant Benton, coming around the corner.

Ooh, sorry Sergeant.

Benton:

That's alright miss. Hey, what have you got there?

Benton is almost transfixed on the Orb as anyone else would be. Sarah tries to break his contact with it as best she can.

Sarah:

Oh, this is what the Doctor brought back from the planet Cutex – the Orb. He is protecting it from orders from his own people.

Benton:

I see. What a beaut!

Benton can't help to resist but sometimes check out the object as it is some pretty.

Sarah:

Do you know where the Doctor or the Brigadier are? I think that the Doctor would have wanted me to keep it protected best he can.

Benton:

Erm, I think the Doctor is with the Brigadier in his office and they don't want to be disturbed.

Sarah:

You mean they are having another argument again. Well, could you please put this under some form of protection?

Benton:

Yes, of course, Miss Smith.

Sarah:

But first, it will have to scan you.

Benton:

Scan, miss?

Sarah:

Yes. Just place your hands on it and let it scan you. To ensure it doesn't see you as a hostile threat. It might be a bit painful though.

Benton:

Alright then.

He follows Sarah's instructions bravely. Benton is scanned by the Orb as he fights off the pain, before releasing him.

Yep, you didn't say it would be that painful. Very well, Miss Smith. I will put it somewhere safe and secure.

Sarah:

Thanks. Exactly where will it be?

Benton:

Somewhere in the storage unit.

Sarah:

Somewhere.

Sarah turns and leaves back to the lab, proud of her accomplishment. Benton just assumes what he has just experienced and takes the Orb away, infatuated with its beauty.