Chapter 8

Nico couldn't stop his legs from jostling about as he waited in the rec room of the Big House. Percy and Annabeth had explained to Chiron before leaving to do their chores, leaving Nico alone as Chiron handled something else.

He clung to Percy's hoodie, one he had claimed as his own not long after showing up at Percy's house. It was an old one but still smelled like the son of Poseidon, and Percy claimed he didn't use it anymore. So that left it in Nico's possession.

It was blue, just like everything else of Percy's. A few holes had been stitched over the years, and one had been stitched during Nico's use of it. It felt like home.

"Mr. di Angelo." Chiron wheeled himself into the room, causing Nico's attention to quickly turn to him. He still couldn't believe that he had met the Chiron. "I'm sorry for taking so long. Travis and Connor Stoll have already made a mess this morning."

"It's okay, sir." Nico stopped his nervous movements and sat straight, making sure to keep his posture right in front of a superior. "Are Percy and Annabeth almost back?"

"They will be, soon." Chiron closed the door before wheeling himself across from Nico. "I thought we could talk alone, Mr. di Angelo."

A thousand scenarios ran through Nico's mind, all relating to Chiron sending him back to where he came from. Some were more violent than others.

"If Percy had come to me, I would have told him to leave you in the Underworld," Chiron started. "However, now that you're here, it would be pointless to bring you back."

Nico tightened his grip on his hoodie. "That's what Annabeth said. But she wanted to check in with you, first. And I wanted to meet the Chiron. You trained the heroes I read about when I was taking my English classes."

Chiron held up a hand. "We still have important things to talk about. We can't miss the point."

"And...what's the point?" Nico asked.

"You were dead, that much would be obvious to anyone that saw you. That's enough to stop a feud between the gods for breaking the promise between them. Your father swore, along with the other two of the Big Three, not to have children. And he didn't. But you were brought back from the dead, something that shouldn't be allowed."

"But Percy and Thalia brought me back," Nico argued. "The other two children of the Big Three. Their fathers won't punish them, right?"

"I can't speak for them," Chiron said. "But I can say that bringing you back to the Underworld will, in fact, do no good. So there's nothing we can do about that problem."

"So...what are we going to do?" Nico asked.

"You'll stay here, at camp." Chiron decided. "It's the safest option for you. And I would avoid water and the sky if I was you. You don't want to give vengeful gods the ability to harm you."

Nico nodded in acceptance. "So I can help in the war, sir?"

Chiron nodded. "You may help turn the tide. I must warn you, however, that it isn't going to be like the war you previously fought in. It won't be a battle of weapons or money. This will be pure will, powers against powers, youth against a deity older than the modern world. You won't be facing humans who fall from a gunshot or two. Your sword and powers will be your weapons, and when you're no longer strong enough to use them, you won't have anything left. There's no draw, no surrender. There's no treaties or rules of war. You need to remember that. And those who fight beside you are children. They have never fought in a war before."

"Yes, sir. I'll keep that in mind, sir."

"Then yes, we would appreciate your help. But as you have not been in the demigod world long, I would like your word that you will listen to your demigod superiors."