(Epilogue) It Started with a New Beginning.

Start from the beginning

Dinner was perfect, but I think it had more to do with the company than the food. We laughed, we chattered and then something happened, something I guess I knew would happen because in my mind and my heart I didn’t want it to happen with anybody else.

A simple kiss and a tender touch, turned into something more. The more I thought about it, the more I realised that every moment, every experience I’d had with Scott was leading up to that very moment.

He looked at me with more love than I could ever say and asked if I was sure of what all this was clearly leading up to. The moment he asked those words, I knew he was the one and that it was finally the right time to say it.

Cupping his face in my hand, I kissed him lightly before meeting his gaze again and uttering. “Yes, I love you.”

It was the first time I’d said those words to him and it felt right.

Never in my life had I experienced something like that before. The tenderness he showed me and the love – though he’d never previously said the words to me before – I could feel every bit of it in the way he intimately took me to a place I’d never been before.

In that moment there was no talk or worry of our impending separation, the weight of tomorrow, forgotten. All that could be felt was love and passion. All that was whispered in the dark were words of endearment and love.

I woke the next morning in his arms. The sun had barely risen in the sky. He looked innocent and at peace, his lips slightly curved at the corners. Was he dreaming about me, I’d wondered? I had certainly dreamt about him.

His arms wrapped firmly around me, pulling me closer. It seemed even in his sleep he hated the space that separated us.

That very thought had me waking from the dream world we’d created the night before. The harsh reality that the light brought dawned on me. I might never see this man that I loved so much again. We lived separate lives, how could we ever make this work.

Hating the thoughts that slashed though my happiness, I escaped the comfort of his embrace, while he’d slept soundly, still lost in the dream yesterday brought.

I came here, to this very waterfall, to find solace. I don’t know how long I was there, but he found me, just like I knew he would.

“I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” he sounded irritated. “I was so worried when Raina said she hadn’t seen you since yesterday.”

“I’ve been right here.” I replied in a heartbroken voice.

I turned to face him and the scowl disappeared from his face the moment he saw the state I was in. “Aria, what’s the matter? Are you hurt?” he’d looked for any physical injuries, but this hurt wasn’t the kind to be found on the surface.

“No,” I’d said, “At least not on the surface.”

I felt the tension rip through his body, coursing through his hand to my arms where he held me. His eyes became shuttered, something I hadn’t seen in a long time, as he took a step away from me.

“Do you have regrets about last night?” it came out strained.

I shook my head vehemently. “No! No, never. Being with you is the only part of me that’s happy. I’d never regret that.”

He visibly relaxed and took a step back to me. “Then what’s wrong?”

I looked at him for a long moment without answering, trying so hard to hold back the tears. But they wouldn’t be held at bay for long.

“I’m never going to see you again, am I?” I asked in a rush, the tears rushing forth.

“Oh, baby, no. Please, don’t cry.” He’d gathered me into his arms, holding me close, that I felt the frantic beats of his heart.

He cradled me as I cried; whispering endearments into my ears, assuring me this wasn’t the end.

When my cries had subsided, he took my face in his hands, placing butterfly kisses on my eyes, before wiping the fallen tears away. “Please don’t cry anymore.” I could hear the pain in his voice. “You know it hurts me to see your eyes so sad.”

“I can’t help it. The thought of losing you…” I sniffed.

He gazed deeply at me then and I could see the determination in them. “You’re not losing me. Not ever. We will see each other. You live in Connecticut and I’m in New York City. It’s not that far apart.”

“Yes, but things happen, people change all the time. We live such differently lives, Scott.” I said.

“Look at me.” he urged, but I didn’t. It just hurt too much. “Look at me.” I said again, this time with more urgency.

My tear stained eyes met his dark and yet warm orbs. “Yes, people and things change, but there’s one thing that will never change.”

“What’s that?”

“The fact that I love you, Aria Jenson and I’ll be loving you for a long, long time to come. So if you think I’m going to let you walk out of my life without a fight, then I guess you’re in for a little surprise.”

Hearing him say he loved me did it for me. Hearing the conviction in his voice and that love he spoke of, I knew we would make it work.

And we did. This past year saw us taking train rides over weekends, holidays and whenever else we could. I can’t deny that at times it was rough, but we pulled though.

Now, one year later from the day we’d proclaimed our love for each other, we stand remembering the promises we made to each other on that early summer morning.

“I can’t believe we actually made it through this year.” I marvelled.

He kissed the top of my head. “I can.” I looked up at him. “And we’re going to make it through another as long as those French guys make sure to keep their hands off you.”

I laughed. “We’re not even in France and you’re already jealous. But you don’t need to worry. I’ve got eyes for only one guy.” He grinned at me.

It was crazy to believe that in two weeks we’d be headed off to Paris, France, to study art for an entire year. We’d only made a pit stop off at Art Haven to see Jackie – our matchmaker – and see how this old place was doing.

Besides, I wanted to thank Jackie in person for her help in getting me the scholarship to attend such a prestige school. If hadn’t been for her help, I might not have gotten it. My parent couldn’t exactly afford to send me to such a school so I was grateful for what she’d done.

Scott on the other hand, hadn’t gotten a scholarship, but his father was generous enough to pay all his expenses and tuition. Mr Grayson wasn’t too happy with Scott’s decision, but with some coaxing from both me and Scott, he’d finally agreed.

Oh and did I mention how close the Grayson men are now. Seems after what happened on Parents’ Day, Mr Grayson had been real serious about them bonding. Scott seemed happier about this newly formed reunion, but insists that it was me that had him so happy, but I knew the truth.

“Do you remember what I told you the last time we were here?” Scott suddenly asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

“How could I forget? You told me you love me and that you would love me for a long, long time.” I replied, grinning.

“Exactly and don’t you forget it. Many things have changed for us, Aria, but that’s one thing that won’t be changing anytime soon.”

“For me either.”

He kissed him deeply, passionately. We seemed to melt into one; here at this very place we made our new beginning.

***

And that’s it folks. I can’t believe this is my third story done! Thank you to EVERYONE who has been supporting this book from day one and even those to have only recently joined.

I never expected this book to be this long, but I enjoyed every part of writing it :D

Thanks again guys and I hope you enjoyed the conclusion to Aria’s and Scott’s love story :D