I turn to Jackie who's watching him shrink with the distance, "What's going on?" I repeat.

"I don't know." she answers quietly, taking a big drink.

We just sit there, watching Ashton who's sulking at the shoreline. After a while Luke comes over with a lit joint and offers me a hit.

"Nah, I'm good, mate." I say to him. He turns to Jackie, offering her the same, "No, thanks." she says, holding up her now empty bottle.

"Lame." Luke mumbles as he walks down to Ashton, spliff in one hand, red solo cup in the other.

We watch as Ashton takes long drags and lays back onto the moist ground, Luke sitting by his side.

"You should go talk to him." I say to Jackie after a long silence.

"He's wasted." she groans, rubbing her eyes and smearing her makeup slightly. She's so perfectly imperfect.

"Something's wrong." I tell her.

I've known Ashton for a long while. We went to school together back in Australia. I know that he doesn't usually act like this. He's a happy guy and he likes to have fun. But this isn't fun, this is him trying to block out misery.

"I know." she practically whispers, "But he doesn't want to talk about it."

That means it's about her. Whatever's going on with him has something to do with her. It's basic guy code. Not even guy code, people code. Still, I'm surprised that he hasn't fessed up, they seem too close for shit like this. I don't know if I should tell her that it probably involves her, I don't know who's side to pick in this battle, I don't know if I'll lose her if I pick his.

I pick her side. I pick the truth.

"It has something to do with you, then." I choke out and watch her eyebrows furrow.

"What do you mean?" she asks, looking over at me.

"It has to be. If it was anything else he would've told you already." I say honestly.

"I don't want to do this tonight." she shakes her head as her eyes fix on Ashton again.

"You want to dance?" I ask her as The 1975's "Girls" comes over the radio.

"Yeah." she smiles widely at me.

I sing the lyrics into her ear as I hold her body flush to mine and listen to her giggles that mingle with the music then fade into the wet and salty air.

Jackie's POV:

Calum's singing in my ear. My body pressed to his, swaying to the tempo.

I'm happy. For the first time in a really, really long time, I'm happy.

I have been since I met Calum. What happens after Calum? Will there be an 'after Calum'? Or will this feeling be infinite?

I don't know. But I'm hoping for the last choice.

My good mood falters fractionally when my mind wanders to Ashton so I force myself to focus on now. To focus on Calum.

"I'm going to get another drink." I tell Calum after the song ends.

"Bring me one." he smiles and I nod as I start to make my way through the crowd and toward the kitchen.

A girl grabs my arm as I pass. My eyes scan her quickly - she's wearing a flowy red dress that's way too short and platform heels that are way too high. Her grip's tight and I feel her artificial fingernails pressing into my skin.