XXII

Jackie's POV:

The cup full of liquid falls from my grasp, sending the liquor splashing upwards as the girl standing next to me shrieks angrily.

Ashton was right.

Ashton was right.

The irony of the song hits me. I'm an American Idiot to have fallen for Calum like I did. To have believed everything he told me. I'm so stupid.

My heart seems to fall to the floor. Or combust instantaneously. I'm not sure which. All I know is that I feel like I'm dying. Like I'm suffocating in this crowded room.

Before I can fully comprehend what's happening my feet are carrying me toward the front door as fast as they can.

I distantly realize that my face is streaked with tears. I'm sure my makeup's running like crazy. I don't give care.

"Jackie, where're you going?!" I hear Ashton call from the kitchen behind me.

He must've seen me freeze then bolt.

Then I hear footsteps following me but I don't look back.

"Jackie!" I hear Ashton call again.

I hear Calum call my name, too. I'm almost to the door, just a little bit farther.

Keep going, I command myself.

I finally make it outside and take off down the street in the direction of my car. I need to leave.

Ashton finally catches up to me and grabs ahold of my shoulder, spinning me around.

"What the fuck did he do?!" he yells once he sees my face.

"Nothing, Ash." I say between sobs, shrugging out of his grip and starting toward the car again.

I hear yelling behind me. I slow and turn around to see Ashton in Calum's face, gripping his t-shirt aggressively.

"What the fuck did you do to her?!" he screams.

He didn't do anything. I did it to myself.

Calum doesn't respond. He just tries to free himself and come after me. But I'm just standing there, gasping for air, watching them. Watching Calum. Recounting everything that happened between him and I.

"I told you not to fuck with her like the rest!" Ashton yells as he draws his fist back.

"Ashton!" I squeal, stopping him in his tracks.

I stand there and muster up as much strength and courage as I possibly can, then walk over to them. I gently grab hold of Ashton's hand that's holding onto Calum's shirt and pull him away.

"Let me talk to him." I say quietly, looking into Ashton's eyes.

"Jackie, I - " he starts but I interrupt him.

"Please, Ash." at that he walks over to his car and leans against it. He's out of earshot but he's watching us closely, I can feel it.

"Jackie, let me explain." Calum pleads.

"Stop. Stop. No." I say, holding my hands up.

He tries to grab my hands but I yank them away and in my peripheral I see Ashton walking toward us.

"It's fine, Ashton!" I yell over to him and he freezes in place then crosses his arms. "You don't need to explain. I get it. It was fun while it lasted, I guess." I choke out. The tears are threatening again.

"You said we were just friends and - " he starts.

"I don't want to fucking hear it! I know what I fucking said!" I yell angrily. "You know what? I'm gonna go. Right now." I say, backing away from him and walking to my car.