"God, you're beautiful." He softly laughed mentally double taking how he managed to get this lucky, blinking twice at the woman staring intently at him with such mystery pooling in her luring, honey eyes.

In this moment everything momentarily blurred out of focus as my eyesight drifted towards the particles of dust accentuated by the warm beams of sunlight, allowing this memory to become engraved into my memory; every aspect, every feeling tingling through my veins. From an early age this what I fantasized love to be, this, simplicity. Laying blissfully content beside a man that drove my heart insane, savoring the feeling of our fingers seamlessly intertwined and the comforting warmth it brought, hearing his soothing voice dance inside my ears, and smelling the faint aroma of cologne wafting through the air into my nostrils.

So this is love.

"Kate." His gently voice softly hummed noticing my absence from reality, mindlessly captivated by the way the golden sunlight lit up my eyes turning them a sparkling golden hue; the way I looked so still, so mesmerized, like every tormenting voice was gagged with realization.

"Hmm, what?" I stuttered jostling back into reality while flickering my eyes towards his amused expression.

"What were you thinking about?" He asked intrigued inching his body closer towards mine, eager to close the remaining inches between us while tracing his open palm down my forearm resting atop my side; continuing to lace our fingers together while gently stroking the back of my hand with his callused thumb. It was in that moment he realized he was falling, falling hard. As a defense mechanism, he wanted to deny himself of this new found emotion, his mind's restless paranoia convinced him he couldn't have this. Nevertheless, his body still helplessly longed to feel her skin against his own, even lying directly beside her felt too far; he had to be intertwined with her, he had to feel her warmth enveloping his skin to quench his nagging thirst.

"You know what, Barnes?" I finally huffed trying to deny my heart skipping multiple beats while hastily shuffling onto my propped elbows, continuing to blow rouge strands of chestnut hair tickling my suddenly itchy nose; my skin already guiltily craving the tempting sensation brought by being in close proximity to him.

"What?" He mused, in an almost playful tone, resting his head on his propped hand while his eyes following my every move as my ears could audibly hear the wide smile spreading from cheek to cheek.

"You're gonna tell me what in God's name happened last night or I'll-" I began in a stern tone as my lecture was abruptly interrupted by bellowing laughter, causing a fiery tingle to warm my cheeks to a scorching temperature. "W-what?" I spat dumbfounded by what exactly he found so humorous.

"You're so fucking cute when you get flustered, you know that?" He choked out between laughs trying to regulate his breathing, cautiously clutching his chest for temporary relief while becoming teary eyed at the evident anger burning in my iris's. However, allowing agitation to be clearly shown across my expressive features backfired immensely on my behalf; the exact moment Bucky noticed the crease forming between my intensely knitted brows the infectious laughter rendered him hopelessly speechless.

"Oh, you asshole." I dryly chuckled rolling my eyes while shaking my head at his foolish reason. As much as I wanted to be furious, not a bone in my body allowed me to, I physically couldn't become angered at that adorably scrunched nose and I hated it; and he knew it. As his laughter persisted I scrambled from beneath the sheets, coiling like snakes around my limbs, and dropped onto the slick wooden planks beneath; the sudden change of temperature sending chills up my bare legs as my entire body involuntarily shivered as a result.

Did I seriously just end the one positive intimate experience I'll probably ever get? Wow.

"Oh c'mon, doll." He breathlessly answered swallowing hard as I stood idle with my back facing him, mindlessly wiggling my toes against the cold surface beneath as a groan split my lips in two. Allowing my head to fall back I turned the profile of my face towards him, resting my chin atop my shoulder as a wave of expected fatigue finally riddled my now throbbing limbs.

"There's two bottles of meds on your bedside, take four of each with a full glass of water. I'm taking a shower." I firmly instructed leaving absolutely no room for confusion, my monotone words lacking both emotion and enthusiasm alerting the soldier to follow direct orders without raising a ruckus.

"Yes ma'am." He nodded resisting the nagging urge to comment another quip towards my statement, nevertheless, he couldn't conceal the wide smile tugging the corners of his lips a second longer.

                                ———————

WOOOaaaaHHHH it's been a hot second, my b🤧 BUT SHES BACK🥳 Anyways, I've completely reconfigured how I'm continuing with this story and actually have a plan now, GASP🤯 Thought I'd give you some cute fluff before HELL breaks loose so enjoy this while it lasts my dudes 😉

Also, previous chapters are undergoing editing this week because I'm trying to polish up this book the best I can for new readers. Shoutout to you OG readers for sticking through this mess 😭 Y'all are real ones I can't—

Xx -Mads💕