Once we are back on firm ground, I point at a random soldier and demand, "Which tent is the princess's?"

The man quivers and gulps. "W-where is the commander?"

"Dead!" The man pales at my blunt statement and his gaze flickers about my personage, causing me to huff. "I did not kill him. But I killed those that did. Now, do not try my patience. The princess needs to rest."

"F-follow me."

Wisely, the man walks briskly and leads us to a tent with the High King's banner staked in front of it. I hold open the tent flap for Elissa and once she is safely inside, glare at the soldier.

"We are not to be disturbed."

The interior is plush with thick furs on the floor, fine decorative silk hangings, and elegant wooden furniture.

"Thank you. I..." she falters and blinks away a tear.

I guide her into a chair and kneel before her. She just sits there, staring at her lap, before finally speaking with a cracked voice. "I-I wanted to hurt him. If you hadn't stepped in, I fear that I would have killed him."

I frown, not comprehending the issue. "He deserved to die. They all did."

"For so long, I have wanted to dedicate myself to saving lives." She looks up at me with despair glimmering in those glistening emerald eyes.

"Some things, like them, are unworthy of your compassion," I insist.

Cupping her face, I brush away another stray tear with my thumb. She is a true beauty, inside and out. I doubt that I will ever be good enough for her, yet I cannot hold back any longer. Closing the gap between us, I allow my lips to gently worship hers.

Her tentative response is sweeter than nectar, which is cruelly ripped away when she turns her head away, fresh tears brimming.

"I'm sorry, that was selfish of me. I shouldn't have."

"Please let me take you away. They will not be able to catch us. It is still not too late," I urge, unable to bear the thought of delivering her to the very king who broke Seraphina's heart.

"Kai." She places a hand on my arm. "I cannot ask you to take such a risk. You are probably not thinking straight due to this fire kindling thing."

That assumption pisses me off and I sit back on my haunches, hands on my hips. "You think that is what this is about? That I am merely driven by some hormonal lust?"

"I don't know."

"I am in love with you," I snap.

She blinks at me with owlish eyes, evidently surprised. Mind you, it is not the way I would have imagined declaring my affections. I can feel the conflict in her and for a moment it gives me hope, then she looks away.

"I am so sorry. I am not free to return your affection."

The rejection stings. I know that she is with another, but he is just a boy really and far away, whereas I am right here.

"I cannot run from my fate, Kai, not when Elysium is suffering. Did you know that no light elves have been conceived in the past eighty solars? I have to return the Light of Elysium to Avalon."

Dragon and Dragonite fertility have both fallen too. Antares chooses this moment to weigh into the conversation.

I scrub my face with a hand, finding the truth unpalatable. "Elissa, you are very noble and brave."

"I'm hardly brave," she scoffs. "I'm scared and have no idea what will happen to me."

I shake my head. Is she trying make me fall for her even more? Regardless of the price to my own heart, I pull her into my arms and simply hold her. How could I have been such a fool as to think that I had a chance? She may not be mine, but I will be here for her regardless.

"If you must go to Avalon, then Antares will fly you there. I will not entrust you into the care of these incompetent fools."

......

We land for an overnight stay with Lady Mira, who presides over the most southern lands of the Dragonite kingdom. She is a striking woman with golden tanned skin and sleek dark hair. I can practically feel Cain and Cade appraising her fine form, yet my fire only flickers for one petite troublemaker.

I bow. "Lady Mira, thank you for hosting our visit. May I use your mirror?"

"Of course, Kai and you are all most welcome. Follow me." She gestures to her son. "Dusk, dearest, show the others to their chambers."

Once alone, I command the mirror to link me through to Avalon. First I am greeted by the Watcher, who looks uncannily like his brother at Babylon, then the surface ripples and clears to show the image of the High King.

"Lord Kai, good to see you again. I must thank you for agreeing to bring Princess Elissa to me."

"What are your plans for her?" I demand, threat heavy in my voice. "I will not allow you to harm her."

Unflinching, Lucifer holds my gaze,. "Your loyalty is admirable. I can assure you that I will treat her like a queen."

My fists clench and I have an overwhelming desire to wipe the annoyingly smug expression off his face.

I feel like he is taunting me. "I beg your pardon!"

"You are forgiven." Lucifer waves magnanimously. "Until we meet tomorrow."

.........
AN - the song is Speeding cars by Walking on Cars.

Another time or place and they might have a chance.