24 - Flight

(Aquila aka Aren's PoV)

It feels so good to feel the wind beneath my wings once more and to have the freedom of the skies. Yet I cannot ignore the worry burdening my heart and alight in a tree to keep a vigil for my saviour. I pray to the gods that she will escape.

I watch, beak agape as Elissa plummets down and then flounders in the water. I fear that she will drown but just as I am about to intervene, a blue haired nymph breaks through the surface, her skin shimmering an iridescent silvery-blue in the light of the crescent moon. A second bobs up holding Elissa's bag.

Gliding effortlessly through the water, they take the girl far away from the horrors of Castle Corinth. I follow behind, gliding silently over the water. It is many miles downriver when they guide her to the bank.

When she thanks them, one responds, with a voice like a tinkling fountain, "You are welcome, child. We heard the song of your plight from the trees. The nymphs of the rivers will always answer your call."

They melt beneath the surface and I note Elissa start to shake and struggle to open her bag. I swoop down to aid her and feathers morph into material as I transform back into a man. I watch with dismay as she first clutches a hand to her chest and then recoils with fear in her eyes.

"Please Elissa, I mean you no harm," I beseech.

"How do you know my name?"

"I am the eagle."

"Aquila?"

Am I so changed as to be unrecognisable? Flexing my fingers, unused to human appendages after too many moons as an eagle, I touch my face to find much of it lost under a forest of facial hair.

"I beg your pardon for my lack of manners. My name is Aren."

With human eyes, I take the time to admire the ethereal girl with hair like moonlight.

Attend, you fool. Her lips are turning blue, the eagle hisses in my mind.

Unclasping my cloak, I crouch and place it around her shoulders. I offer to help her to her feet and hand she place in mine is frigid.

"By Elysium, you are cold. No, this will not do," I mutter and start unbuttoning my shirt.

"W-what are you doing." Her eyes widen in alarm.

"I merely wish to warm you. Please trust me." I open my arms, leaving the choice to her.

When she steps closer, I gently wrap my arms around her. She is tall for a lady, though maybe a hand shorter than I. As my warmth seeps into her body, I feel her start to relax and icy hands slide up my back, the chill causing me to tense.

In the back of my mind, a presence starts to stir; one that I have not felt for some time.

When the girl's shaking subsides, I pull away. Bending, she retrieves dry clothing from her bag and remembering to be a gentleman, I turn my back to allow her to change.

There is a splat as her sodden dress hits the ground. It draws my mind to her state of undress, admittedly within the folds of my cavernous cloak, but enough for the presence to become alert.