71 - Denial

(Kai's PoV)

"Zander, I need to use your mirror to report to our Queen," I state in a tone which is possibly a tad brusque. I have no particular issue with him, yet there is an unspoken rivalry between us.

He nods his head and bids me to follow him. My inner fire is unsettled. I think it must be the strain of being in another lord's domain. Once the door is closed and I am alone, I command the mirror to link me through to Babylon.

The surface liquifies and my reflection is swallowed in silver. When it settles, I am faced with the more appealing image of Seraphina, the Queen of the Dragonites. She is reclined on a chaise and wearing an exceptionally flimsy dress, which does little to cover her voluptuous body.

She kindled my fire once and although we both agreed that it was not to be, we are occasional lovers. Often, the sight of her stirs something in me, yet tonight, I feel nought but duty.

"Well done, Kai. I knew that my favourite warrior would not fail me."

"My Queen." With a fist against my chest, I bow.

She pouts and teases, "So formal tonight. Worry not. Bring the princess to Babylon and your duty will be done. I will have to see that you are suitably rewarded," she purrs out.

It is a relief that this mission will soon be over, or at least it should be a relief, if not for the nagging doubt that refuses to be silenced. "Seraphina, why did you want the princess captured?"

"Lucifer requested it of me." She shrugs as if it is nothing, yet there is a tightness in those bare shoulders.

I feel my face scrunching. I find it hard to trust him. My loyalty to Seraphina is born as much from affection and respect, as that of a lord serving his queen. I was there to pick up the pieces when her affair with the so-called High King turned sour and he betrayed her.

My unmasked distain for him must be showing because she goes on to justify, "He was worried for his niece and did not wish her to fall into Nero's hands again. Apparently that foul miscreant has an unhealthy interest in the poor girl."

Dark elves are an unwelcome remnant from the Great War and Nero is the worst of them. I have an overriding desire to fly out to find him and exact revenge.

"See you in two days hence, my darling." Seraphina flutters a hand and once more I face my reflection.

I return to my room to dress for dinner, though I can only muster sparse enthusiasm for being sociable. I cannot help mull over the princess, for each new piece of information about her slices into me like a blade, cutting away my misconceptions and leaving me feeling raw.

......

When I stride into the dining hall, everyone is already seated, and all eyes turn to me. This is probably in part due to my tardiness and in part due to my reputation as a warrior. Zander beckons me over to the high table. Cain and Cade are on one of the tables just below the dais and are already flirting with all the females around them.

Elissa is sat between Zane and Zander. She looks different tonight, radiant somehow, although perhaps it is just that she is smiling for once. My flames surge beneath my skin. Aggravated, I rein them in and take a seat between two Dragonite females.

The female on my right is exceedingly buxom with dark glossy hair, inviting cinnamon eyes and has a disregard for personal space. The female on my left keeps praising me about my bravery and exploits, however, rather than be flattered, I merely find it irritating.

Meanwhile, Elissa is effervescent and engaged in animated conversation with our hosts. Each time she laughs, which is often, my spine tingles.

A warm hand slides up my right thigh and its owner leans in so close that I am almost overpowered by her musky perfume. "Lord Kai, you must be tired after your travels. Why not let me come and warm your bed?"