11 - The Rainbow Isles

(Elle/Elissa's PoV)

Excitement bubbles in my stomach; today we are finally flying up to the Rainbow Isles. If I squint, I can just make out dark shapes behind the clouds.

We clamber onto Roth and the dragon's steady wing beats takes us higher and higher. It is some time later when we suddenly rise into a thick mist. Previously the concept of flying through a cloud seemed romantic, but in reality it is rather dreary being suspended in cold, damp, white nothingness.

I start to shiver and Zane tells me to hold on to him. He is toasty warm and it's rather like snuggling up to a leather-clad radiator.

Eventually the cloud thins, revealing the unbelievable sight of a huge rocky mass above us. Correcting his course, the dragon skirts around what looks like an inverted mountain, and continues climbing upwards.

We sail over the equivalent of an old fashioned seaport, but instead of boats there are hot air balloons. We land in the town square. Zane dismounts and I jump into his open arms. He places me gently on the ground, but I am reduced to clinging onto him until I regain my land legs.

I kiss Roth's nose. "Thank you, Roth. Is there anything we can get you?"

Zane laughs and responds, "He says that he would like a whole sheep."

My stomach lurches uncomfortably when he goes on to add, "He prefers them alive, but he may have to settle on a carcass."

The dragon huffs indignantly.

We wander over to a picturesque Tudor style black and white building with an inn sign where Zane secures us rooms. He escorts me to my room and we have to navigate a narrow stairway, where several steps complain under his weight.

At the top is a door leading into an attic room, which is to be my home for the next quarter moon, or eight days. It's built into the eaves and the sloping ceiling means that Zane can only stand in the centre.

He backs out, ducking to avoid the lintel. "I will leave you to get settled."

I cross the undulating wooden boards and open the low leaded window. Sitting on the floor I am able to pop my head out and take in the views. The place has an olde world charm and I could almost believe that we have been transported several hundred years into the past.

With my chin resting on my hands, I ponder on my origin. I've never felt different or out of place, apart from when I first moved to London, but then I'd just lost my parents. Since since coming here I feel like I'm slowly changing. Darish thinks I'm from this realm. If that is true, could my parents be out there somewhere? I dare not hope too much and try to quash the thoughts.

Leaving my thoughts at the window, I unpack and then go down to meet the others. I have to firmly hold onto the hand rail for the seriously uneven steps make me feel drunk.

Zane is already at the bar with a beverage in one hand and three women hanging on to his every word. He sends them off giggling when Darish turns up moments later and we go through to our table.

The food is hearty, but I don't have much of an appetite. Zane stabs the uneaten steak on my plate and transfers it to his. I massage my temples, feeling the beginnings of a headache brewing and bid them goodnight.