14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle

(Elle's PoV)

It was fun dancing with Oren, the man from the archery competition and I am certainly grateful that my old school insisted that all us girls took ballroom dancing classes.  He is about my height, with a pleasant face and a foppish, blonde fringe.

The poor guy has lost his sister again. To lose her once may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose her twice looks like carelessness. I smile to myself at the misquote.

Once we get to Darish, his eyes flick behind me and an odd smile quirks on his face. That is all the warning I get before being pulled rather unceremoniously away from Oren.

"Unhand her," Zane practically growls and pushes me behind his bulky body.

Oren bristles and in an imperious tone queries, "What concern is the lady to you?"

"Yes Zane, I would also like to know what she means to you," demands a red-haired lady who suddenly enters the fray.

I have no idea what is going on.

"Elissa is my ward."

I try to defuse the situation, but Zane ignores me and continues his staring daggers at Oren. "Are you using her to get back at me?"

"No!" Oren responds going red in the face. "What kind of man do you take me for?"

"Elissa is an innocent. If you hurt her, you will severely regret it." Zane's face promises retribution.

I have never seen him so angry apart from the time with the elf. Alarmed at the level of aggression, I elbow Darish and whisper, "Can't you do anything?"

Darish merely sips his drink and raises one eyebrow, relaying without words that this is all far too entertaining.

"I can assure you that my intentions are honourable." Oren puffs his chest and takes a step closer to Zane, who is a head taller than him. "More than I can say of your actions toward Rowan and Laurel."

Zane scoffs, "Rowan was far from innocent. Whatever she may have said, I did not seduce her. Indeed I rejected her advances." He turns away from Oren and faces the redhead woman with a remorseful expression. "Laurel, I know that I am not the man you deserve, but I hope that I never deceived you."

Laurel gives Zane a wistful smile and then takes Oren's hands in hers. "Brother, I love you, but stop trying to protect me. I am a grown woman. We both know how Rowan can be. She was just being spiteful for not getting her own way. Perhaps her time in the High King's court will improve her nature."

Then Laurel threads her arm through Zane's and whisks him off onto the dance floor. I am left with Oren trying to process what just went on.

Oren clears his throat. "I most sincerely apologise for that uncouth display. I may have done your guardian a disservice. I do hope that you will visit the Emerald Isle. I would be delighted to show you a little of my island."

"Are you sure it won't be too much trouble?"

Oren recovers his gentlemanly persona. "If a man cannot spare time for a beautiful lady, then all is not well with the realm."

I laugh. "Shame you have to contend with me then."

Oren smiles and kisses my hand. "I shall look forward to our next meeting. But for now, regrettably, I have duties to attend to."

"What a nice man," I remark to Darish as Oren walks off.

"Lord Oren? I believe you have an admirer there."

"No, he is just being hospitable." My brain suddenly catches up with what Darish said. "Wait, did you say Lord Oren?"

......