68 - Bedouin Night

(Elissa's PoV)

The sun set an hour or so ago and we are gliding through the darkness, with the only light coming from the millions of stars in the sky above our head. Sounds romantic, however, I can't properly enjoy it with Mr Grumpy practically burning a hole in my back with his disapproval. Honestly, I can't wait to get off this dragon.

On the horizon there is the distant glimmer of lights, which steadily become clearer as we draw nearer. Eventually, a sea of tents spreads out before us and behind that, a huge rock formation honeycombed with caves.

The air is heavy with the scents of roasting meat and aromatic spices, while the sounds of tribal music spill out from the largest tent. When we land, Kai grabs me around the waist, tucks me against his body and jumps down.

"I can dismount a dragon unaided," I grumble.

He ignores me and I have to endure the ignominy of dangling there, with my feet not even touching the ground. My attempts to wriggle free are futile because his arm is like an iron girder. I'm tempted to kick him, though doubt that would improve our relations.

The three dragons take flight, each selecting one of the caves.

Finally, Kai places me on my feet and barks, "I do not expect any trouble from you, so behave. Otherwise you will spend the rest of the journey tied up. Understood?"

Not trusting myself to say anything polite, I curtsy demurely, although I wouldn't be surprised if the look on my face is anything but. Mr Grumpy is certainly going to get wrinkles from all that frowning if he is not careful.

His jaw clenches and he commands, "Stay close to one of us at all times."

With that, he strides off leaving me with the twins. I still don't know their names, not that it would help because I can't tell them apart. They step closer, making me feel crowded and I swallow. "Do you have to stand so close?"

One of them responds, "We could stand closer."

"No thanks. I already feel like the filling in a sandwich."

"A sand witch!" He cocks his head. "What is that?"

"It is a meal from where I grew up. You take a slice of bread, add a filling, usually cheese or meat, and lay a second slice of bread on top."

"Hmm, sounds interesting," he leers and licks his lips.

I don't like his expression nor the dirty undertone of his voice and take a step backwards, only to bump into a solid body. Warm breath fans across the back of my neck and the other brother's voice rumbles close to my ear. "Tell us, what filling do you like?"

Giving a squeak, I slip between them and escape into the large tent. Inside is a riot of colour with patterned hangings and carpets in shades of amber, saffron, red and jade. The inhabitants are sat in groups on thick cushions on the floor. Some are puffing on hookahs and a waft of sweet smoke tickles my nose.

They are all massive and I can't help wondering whether Dragonites only come in extra-large size. The largest of them is Kai, who is already seated at a low mosaic table with a direct view of the entrance. I'm hesitant to approach, but he fixes me with his dark eyes. Lucky me, I get a seat in between Mr Grumpy and one of the letchy twins.  

Two dusky beauties, wearing harem pants and bejewelled bustiers, sashay over carrying large blue and white patterned bowls. I look away, not wishing an eyeful of their very generous assets as they bend to place the bowls on the table.

The twin sat opposite me has no such qualms and seems transfixed by the bronzed globes in front of his face. He whispers something into the woman's ear and is rewarded with a slap around the face. He merely shrugs and grins as if to say: 'win some, lose some'.