79 - Point of no return

Elissa's PoV

The plain stretches on for miles; a gently undulating sea of green with the odd shrubby tree and sprinklings of wildflowers. I move with the rise and fall of my mount which, by a bitter-sweet twist of fate, is a caramel palomino.

I wonder if it's by pure accident or a cruel choice on the king's part to rub salt into the wound. Whichever, it taunts me because I'm unlikely to see my prince again. What I wouldn't give to be that simple maiden again, where the biggest worry was snobbish courtiers. I pine for those innocent days with my first love.

Since coming to Elysium, I haven't had the chance to settle down anyway, constantly moving about the realm like a pawn being sent hither and thither across a giant chess board. And with each new place, I seem to lose a little more freedom. Now I'm headed right for the very centre to meet the game's strongest piece; the father-killing, egg-stealing High King himself.

"Your Highness."

Shelving my musings, I turn to face the commander, Mr Pomp, who is sat there proudly on his charger. He is wearing a golden breastplate and his blue cape flutters playfully in the light breeze.

"We will rest here before journeying through Dragon Neck Pass."

At my nod, we slow to a gentle walking pace and then he helps me down with the respect a princess might expect. However, I'm under no illusions that I'm anything more than a regal prisoner.

The sky temporarily darkens as a gargantuan winged beast glides overhead. Antares alights a short distance away, causing the grazing horses to become skittish. Mind you, the dragon could almost eat one whole, so they have good reason to be nervous.

Kai jumps down and storms over. He towers over Mr Pomp and it is almost assuming to see the commander trying to make himself seem bigger and not wilt under the accusatory glare. Mr Grumpy is out in full force. "Why have you stopped?"

"To give the horses a chance to rest and to take some refreshments. Lord Kai, you are welcome to join us." The commander's expression doesn't exactly imply that he would relish the company. "We should make it to our camp on the other side of the forest well before dusk."

"There are more of you?" Kai's nose crinkles in distain.

"'Tis only a small group to protect the camp and our stores."

......

The road ahead narrows and we slow to a crawl, waiting for the backlog of cavalrymen to clear. My mount stamps impatiently. Yeah, right with you, mate. This would be a lot easier if the king hadn't sent such a ridiculously large escort.

Finally, it is our turn to traverse the pass. The rock surface is smooth, like a marble canyon and the walls are so high that little direct light finds its way down to us. The other riders press around me and there is the distinct tang of sweaty horses. All in all, it is a claustrophobic experience.

A sense of unease creeps over me and I can't shake the feeling of being watched. Trying to act casual, I cast my gaze around. No one is paying me undue attention and nothing seems out of the ordinary, yet the prickling sensation down my spine won't go away.

I feel more comfortable when the path widens out again and leads into the cool, shady depths of a forest. The only problem is that the large branches overhead obscure the sky and the reassuring presence of the dragons. Still, in only a few hours we will all be reunited.

Several riders with bows strapped to their back, peel off from the road and disappear amongst the trees. "What are they up to?"

Mr Pomp responds in a patronising tone, "Worry not, my princess. 'Tis merely a hunting party, to procure fresh meat for the night's supper."