Chapter 44: Mirror image.

Start from the beginning

Jessica is still hovering near the door, her eyes studying me, absorbing every essence of me. I can't help but peek a look at her. She's thin and small with a shaved head, dressed in clothes too lose for her body. My throat feels constricted and her form reminds me of what she has undergone. The agony. The pain. I could never bear the trauma of something like that happening that to my child. My hands absently cradle my belly. She has bruises. Plenty of them, adorning her neck as if jewelry. Her wrists, maybe more inside the goddess knew better. My spine shakes understanding the meaning of them. Her eyes are beautiful, pooling brown of honey, just like his. A mirror image. Her neck bears a fresh claim, I take a little peek at it before she hides it from me.

She looks sad and broken, her eyes red as her gaze is fixed on me. Maybe she looks at me as if I'm that female who'll steal her male from her. I won't. I will never. Why don't they understand this. "It's...ok Mikhail. It was an accident" my voice comes out slow, almost broken. Now I understand fully why he must've ran at once to her. But I still can't meet his eyes. Will this be how it would end for us? Does he still think that I'm wanting to ruin him? The pain in my stomach makes me breathe slowly, I can't move. "I'm so so so sorry Mera. About everything. I'm sorry for yelling at you that day. Im sorry for not listening to you when you called my name. I'm sorry for everything you have to go through because of me. I'm sorry because you're in so much pain because of me"

Silence is what he gets back in an answer. I don't understand why I'm reacting like this. "It's ok....Mikhail. It was an accident" the words are a little hard to slip out of my mouth. He breathes in again, chest heaving, understanding that I didn't fully forgive him but he doesn't push me, he understands that I'm still in a lot of pain pain. I open my mouth to speak again. "I didn't mean what you interpreted that day" his jaw is clenched as he listens to me silently. "I'm not in love with you, at least not in a way you think I am" I say looking into his eyes, then the female. Her body shakes lightly with relief and he's breathing deeply. He's deeply hurt by my choice of words, the tiniest amount of strength that he portrayed now shatters like fragile glass. His shoulders drops and his fists clenches and he holds his breath.

"I wasn't ready to see you like that day. Or was ready to bear the stench of what I fear the most. I wanted to claw my skin out. The closer you moved, the harder it became to breathe. Then you told me she's here. I thought you moved in with her. In a house we had stepped into first. It felt painful. But deep down I was happy for you Mikhail that finally you were with a female who took care of you. Tori told me how she helped you heal from what was left of you. I couldn't be happier. I had prayed to the moon for this. That she could fix your broken soul, that she could fill in all your cracks. That she could give you a home. That she could make you whole again"

He doesn't look into my eyes, his gaze is pinned on my feet, he's listening, he's listening. He's letting it all sink in. "I can't thank you enough for what you've done for me Mikhail. You saved my life. So many times that I've lost a count. I love you and always will. But not in a way like I love my mate. I will always love him more. In more ways than you can ever imagine"

"If he wants me to leave with him I will. He's our path maker" my hand caresses my belly, the pain has me closing my eyes now. I take minute before I speak. "You're such an amazing soul Mikhail. You deserve all the happiness in this wold. You deserve the world for everything good you've ever done. For always putting everyone before you. For trying to reach out to others despite being broken. You deserve someone who can give her soul to you. She can give you that. I can leave with my mate with peace knowing that you'll be happy" water pricks my eyes filling with emotions as I hold his gaze, I don't hide my eyes anymore. His chest is heaving. Words. So many words closed up in his throat. "I'm sorry Mera" he whispers, his voice full of shame. "I'm so ashamed of everything I said. Now even more" I don't want to answer him, I don't feel like. I feel my mate walking in, suddenly and my face flushes with embarrassment, I don't lift my head. How long was he standing there listening to us?