Chapter 44: Mirror image.

It's dusk. Things are moving slow. I hear them bickering. He's raising his voice and I feel Mikhails spine bend and shake. Please. Please. Just once. His voice is a desperate attempt. He never spoke this way to him, spine coiled, head bent, begging. I can smell her faintly, she's standing at the edge of the door nails digging into it. She's....intimidated. Of how big a wolf my mate is. My mate pauses feeling her eyes on his back. Jessica. Her body shakes at the mention of her name on his lips and she falls to her knees. Jessica. She was the female my mate had left to get justice for. His voice becomes soft as he addresses her. My eyes flutter open, it's takes a minute for me to adjust my sight. "We're leaving today Mikhail. As soon as she wakes up" a dull feeling of emptiness settles in my stomach. "What?" A gasp leaves his mouth. His voice shaking. Alexandro turns and his gaze meets mine.

Dull ache stabs me at the bottom of my belly. I draw a deep breath biting my lip. Putting all of my weight on the balls of my hand I try to get up, weakness making my frail limbs shake, the pain stabbing me with full force. I've hurt my bones so deep that it pains to even take a breath. His hands instantly reach for me supporting my weight, warmth fills into me. The hair at the back of spine and my hands stand as his shadow falls on me, his touch is like sunshine even in the darkest days of winter, warm in my soul. There's intense need in me to burry my nose into his neck and inhale his scent. I do it. My nose pressing against the contour of his neck I fill my lungs with the sweet scent of my mate. A low growl rumbles from the back of his throat. His hand locks with mine, the other supporting my back. My hand reaches for my belly as the pain becomes too intense and I'm breathing through my mouth. "Easy, easy my moon" he's whispering against my ear.

The brief proximity of his lips has my lips trembling, it takes a moment for me to breathe again. I look at the sun like I do every morning, my eyes closing, letting the sunlight touch my face as I say my little prayer. He watches me with keen eyes, studying every little moment of mine, soaking my form in. When I open my eyes, ocean blue hits my soul filling me with peace, it's our little ritual every morning. "How are you feeling my moon?" His deep voice is gentle as he caresses the hair on my head, eyes analyzing my face. I can't lie to him about the pain, he'll always know. "Better" I whisper and he kisses the side of my head. "I made pancakes for you" he whispers not wanting to let go. A smile curves up my lips I feel embarrassed last night I wouldn't stop talking about how amazing pancakes are. "I'll get them for you" he whispers lingering for a moment I nod my head he pulls away, walking out of the room. He stops for a moment at the door staring hard at someone I can only assume it's Mikhail.

My hands fumble with the materials stocked up bedside my bed I can feel him standing there he's debating weather to come in or not. It takes five whole minutes for him to decide. "Mera" Mikhails voice fills the room and I instantly stop. The little knit hat I'm holding in my hand falls down and I bend to pick it up. "Don't bend" His hand stops me midway and he reaches for it instead and hands it out to me. "Thank you" I whisper eyes avoiding him, putting it into the box I've been putting all my things into, there isn't much just little pieces of clothing I've stitched for my little ones. "You don't have to leave Mera" eyes pressed on me, I feel the weight of his gaze. His voice is filled with guilt. "Please" desperation seeps our of his throat. "I'm going to meet my family after months Mikhail. I'm happy that I'm going" "what about us? Victoria? Me? The children here you've grown close to?" My throat knots up. The sun comes up every morning, it's inevitable for the moon to stay with the light. My time here has ended. I can feel it.

"My mate says this isn't a place for us to be" my simple words has his fist clinching. "I'm sorry for what happened that day Mera. I can never never ever forgive myself for it. I would never ever even think of hurting you" the thought of the pain I went through has my shoulders curling inward. I still haven't recovered from the fall, the pain deeply embedded inside my bones. "I'm sorry" I don't reply anything. I'm unable to. I needed him at that time. But he didn't want to listen to my voice. "Mera-" his hand reaches for mine and withdraw it immediately. Tears fall from my eyes. This is what we've been reduced to.