Chapter 33: Endless Love

"So he said grandma that if he worked at a mirror factory he could totally see himself working" Esmèralda cracked up again, her hand reaching for her stomach. "Stop Tori. I can't. This is torture" "I know I'm funny. But grandma says I am useless" the old woman turned to her and smiled. "Who said you're completely useless honey. You can always serve as a bad example" Esmèralda laughed grabbing a chair for her, her stomach paining from laughing too hard. "Ladies," Mikhails voice was soft, his hand behind his back. As soon as his eyes met Esmèraldas, an incredibly shy, boyish smile broke at the corner of his lips. She smiled looking at him. "Mikhail" Her voice was soft as she looked at him, he was wet from the drizzling outside. "Come on in!" She hastily handed him a towel. "Is everything alright my boy?" Victoria's grandmother said removing her baking gloves. "Ye..s. I thought I'll pick her up. I don't want her to walk back home anymore. It's not good for her" he said gesturing towards her belly. Victoria smiled looking at Esmèralda. He said that casually after walking down 5 miles extra from work. Lucky. Lucky girl. "That's....so thoughtful of you..." she paused overwhelmed. "Thank you" her own heart was beating fast.

"Dinner is ready. Mikhail join us" Victoria said trying to get his attention, his gaze was still locked with Esmèralda. "I no-" "yes come on child. It's not everyday we have guests" he smiled. "You're wet" she absently said looking at him. "Tori do you have something he can wear? He can't stand cold" he felt a small feeling of overwhelm, she was staring to know him as closely as a family would. Victoria smiled looking at them.

"Yes. I'm sure papas clothes will fit him. Actually, Mera why don't you take him in and help him out? I'm sure he would love an extra hand after a long day of work" Victoria said winking discreetly at him, arranging the food on the table. He raised his eyebrow understanding that Victoria was trying her best at teasing him. "No I just wanna sit for a second. I walked for too long" "That's ok, I'll lay the clothes out until then" "Esmèralda said casually unaware of the turmoil inside him, walking towards the bedroom. He watched her walk away slowly, slipping the small string of flowers back in his pocket. "Flowers. On the day of the festival" she smiled picking up a slice of apple. "Your blushing like a juvenile Mikhail. Just tell her already or I'll do it for you" "no" his voice was stern as he raised his eyebrow. "I...just brought these for her there's nothing like that"

His hands fiddled with the jam jar on the table. "Jam? It's time for some baked ham" she said rolling her eyes as she smiled. He put it down immediately. "Yeah sorry" she laughed, unable to control herself. "What are you apologising for? You can go ahead eat jam if you want" "Tori. Stop teasing the poor lad. He already looks beaten out" she laughed putting her legs down. "Did I miss something here?" Victoria's grandfather said rolling the wheels of his wheelchair. "Eliénte papa. I'm just teasing him" (nothing papa) the old man smiled adjusting the cowboy hat on his head. "What about you papa, why the cap today? Anything special?" "This? I wore it to impress your grandma. Nothing like some old cowboy trying to hit on his girl"

Mikhail smiled looking at the old couple. For a second he felt bad for the old man, he was crippled. But that didn't keep him from being chirpy. "Papa. Wait. I am yet to clean up the table. There are dead moths below it" "dead moths? Your grandma started keeping moths as pets?" "Pests old man. Not pets. It took me three weeks to clean them up completely. I must say thank you Mikhail. The moth balls did wipe them clean" "but they smell terrible" "yes tori. I agree with you on that. They smell noxious" "Ivy, really you've smelt moth balls?" "Yes of course" "how did you mange to get their little legs apart?" Mikhails mouth twisted with amusement as he tried his best not to laugh in a room where he heard nothing but laughter.

"You better keep your mouth shut old man there are kids in this room" "Zooey darling did you hear anything?" "No papa. I did not" "excellent. You know young man. Back in our days your grandma had a strict two drink limit, because after one drink she started to feel it and after two anybody could feel it" he burst it laughing again, Victoria got up giving him a high five.