Chapter 4

"Clare, is that you?"

I now know who it is. My brother was the only one who called me Clare.
"Jon?"
"Oh my God Clare, you've grown so much, and I see your stlye has changed, a lot."
"Yeah. Perks of growing up where I did."
"I've missed you."
I walked over to the table he was now sitting at with the girl.
Hi, I'm Clary. Jon's sister."
"Hi, Izzy. Jon didn't tell me he had a sister."
I looked at my brother. He looked at Izzy and he started to explain.
"Our parents split when she was 2. My dad got her and I stayed here." He looked at me again. "There wasn't a day that went by where I didn't think of my little sister."
"So why'd she come back, and don't tell me school because she clearly isn't big on schools like ours."
Jon looked at me with tears in his eyes.
"Clare, would you like to tell her what happened because your some how handling this better than me."
"Sure. Our father was shot and killed."
"What! That's horrible. How'd you find out." Izzy started crying.
Oh my God these people need to grow a backbone.
"I was right there. He was shot while putting milk in the back of our car while I was sitting in the car."
"That's horrible, was this normal for where you lived."
"Yeah. I probably upset some dumb gang, or the wrong boy."
"CLARE! You lived in a gang area?"
"I was dating a gang leaders kid brother before this happened. He broke up with me because he didn't do long distance relationships and I would've never known when he was behind bars or not."
"Clarissa-"
"It's Clary. I snapped peoples arms for calling me Clarissa back in Louisiana."
"Clary, please tell me you don't have a criminal record."
"I ain't a girl you wanna mess with. I was in a gang. I protect my people no matter the cost."
"Clare. How did you get into this big mess."
"I grew up in what your rich spoiled ass world call the hood, I called it home. You do what you have to, to survive another day."
The room fell silent once I said that.
"You can't say anything to anyone or I will hurt you. You got it you two."
I got up from the table grabbed my bucket of paint that was sitting on the table, I guess Bernard had gotten it.
"Oh. Do you have any paintbrushes."
"Yeah, upstairs first door on your right."
"Thanks Jon, I'll talk to you tomorrow."
I walked upstairs and found the door, it was the biggest hallway closet I've ever seen. Paintbrushes were all the way in the back. It was a maze just trying to get to them and getting out was even harder. I just needed to sleep. I'll paint in the morning.

Jon's POV

My sister. My own sister. My little sister was in a gang and has been in prison. She shouldn't have had to live like that. I don't balme my father and I don't blame her. She just grew up on the wrong side of town. I wish I could have been there for her, her life would be so much different. I could have protected her from all of this. Dad would probably still be alive, I just can't believe that the girl who used to color rainbows on our kitchen table while she waited for dinner has been in jail. Probably more then once. I hate the idea of her behind bars.

"I'm sorry." Izzy was just trying to make me feel better. "Why didn't you tell me about her?"
"The last time I saw her I was 4 or 5, I hardly remember what food she used to eat when we would go out."
"That must have been terrible. I can't imagine what I would do if I was you and Alec was in Clary's shoes."
"I don't even know what to do. I just want to help her."
"She doesn't need help, she just needs to be shown that she is loved. I can tell that she grew up thinking the nodoby cared for her."
"She wasn't exactly loved by our parents." I started remembering the things I would over hear when my parents found out they were having a girl. "They hated the idea of having a girl."
"But, I've never met someone who was that upset about having a girl."

I put my head down on the table and I just wanted to sleep.
"I'll see you tommorow Jon. I can tell that you want to sleep."
"Tell Jace and Alec that I said hi"
"They hate you."
"Yes but I'm positive Jace will love my sister."
"Well he'll just have to wait till next week when school starts."
"We all know he hates when we hide a cute girl from him."
"Jon. I don't want her to be one of his girls."
"I have a feeling that if he does want to hook up with her it's going to be for more then just once."
"I hope your right. This girl had been through hell."
"I love you Iz. It's getting late you should go home."
"Love you too Jon. See you soon."
And with that she got up and left.
Next day-6 days till school starts
Clary's Pov
It was early in the morning, which was rare for me. I threwout all of the pink shit my mom thought I would like and I replaced it with gray, black or blue things that I was able to keep from Louisiana. I cleared the walls and spent the whole morning painting and filling in wholes. Jon came in with a sandwich a couple times throughout the day. Sometimes they were for me, others he just came to watch and help.
It took me 5 hours to paint the walls and move everything to where I wanted it. I had a blast it distracted me from what was going on in the world. I think I found my new escape, painting.