Chapter 42

Tris P.O.V.

I slowly wake without opening my eyes. I can hear laughter and people talking. I open my eyes to see a plain white room with cabinets on one wall. There are chairs on one side that contain my friends. I'm momentarily confused but then I remember the events that happened last night. Or yesterday. Or whenever it was.

"What time is it?" I ask. They all turn to look at me. They pause with large eyes and then they all pop up and surround me, asking my questions. I pretend to faint ago and they all go silent.

"One at a time," I moan. I sit back up and open my eyes.

"Okay, me first. Did you feel sick when we were at the movie last night?" Christina asks. I shake my head.

"No. It started last night at the party," I say, hoping that they fall for it. I don't want everyone to know about what Marcus said.

"The doctor said you were under a lot of stress. Is that true?" Tobias asks. I refuse to answer. Instead, I change the subject.

"Shouldn't the doctor know I'm awake?" I ask. Everyone nods and I look down at my hands that are resting on the light blue blanket. I hear the door open and lots of feet shuffling out of it. I lean back and close my eyes, thankful that everyone is gone.

I hear footsteps and then someone grabs my hands, grasping both of mine in their large, warm hands. I open my eyes and see Tobias standing beside me. He leans over and kisses my forehead.

"Tris, I know you were trying to change the subject. Will you please tell me," he asks me quietly. I look away from him and look at random spots around the room. He ends up taking my face in his hands, forcing me to look at him.

"It was Marcus," I whisper, just barely loud enough for him to hear.

"Thank you. Do you want to tell me what he said?" Tobias asks. I shake my head as tears form in the corners of my eyes. Tobias sits down on the edge of the bed and wipes away the tears that escape my eyes. He puts his arm around me and I curl into his side. This position feels perfect. And it also makes me feel incredibly guilty for not telling Tobias what happened.

                                                         §§§

I squeeze the purple monkey from the arcade as I watch the Red Band Society. The hospital released me this morning. A great birthday, huh? Jeanine said that it was just caused by stress. The stress caused the headache and the headache became so bad that it caused me to blackout.

I lay on my bed as I scroll through Facebook. I read through messages wishing me a Happy Birthday and hoping that I get better soon. I reply by saying Thank you and that I feel much better. After about an hour of that, I hear a knock on the window. I walk over and open it for Tobias.

"Hey," I say as I walk back to my bed.

"How you feeling?" he asks as he takes a seat next to me.

"Fine. I don't know why everyone keeps treating me like I'm sick, though. I was just stressed out," I explain.

"Tris, will you tell me what happened?" Tobias asks me. I nod and take a deep breath.

"Marcus told me to stay away from you. He said that you were bad news and that you use girls for. . . stuff. So many people have told me that. I believe you but part of me still believes everyone else," I explain. Tears begin to form in my eyes. Tobias puts his arm around me and I sob into his chest.

"Tris, I can't make you believe me but they can't make you believe them either," he says.

"I believe you. I know you never did anything like that. It just gets to me. And, I don't know why," I explain. Tobias rests his chin on top of my head.

"I understand. I would feel the same if someone else told me that about you," he says.

"Why doesn't anyone want us together?" I ask.

"Because they know that we're perfect together and they will never have a relationship as perfect as ours," he explains. I laugh at his reply.

"We are a pretty perfect couple aren't we?" I ask.

"We are," he says. We both laugh at this.

"I love you," I say.

"I love you more," he replies.

"I love you most," I say before his lips crash on mine.

Way another update! Tris is okay. And guess what! It's almost Valentine's Day! Please comment and leave ideas! :)

Disclaimer: I don't own Divergent. Veronica Roth does.