Chapter 32

Tris P.O.V

I sit down with the rest of the seniors who help with the school newspaper. They all chat quietly amongst themselves while I sit quietly and read. Almost all of the seniors that help with the school newspaper are friends. I'm not, though. I enjoy my social circles better than theirs.

"Okay, everyone! Settle down. We will now begin our staff meeting," Mr. Collins says as he walks into the room. He sits down at his desk in the front of the room in his usual attire. He has on a light green flannel shirt, khaki dress pants, and a bow tie with comical images on it. Today it is white with rubber ducks on it.

"So, today we will discuss what should be included in the newspaper and then I need to have a discussion with the seniors," Mr. Collins explains. What could he want from us? I just hope I'm not in trouble. I don't need anything negative on college applications.

Missy Hughes stands up and starts talking about how she thinks we need an advice column and how she could run it. Everyone disagrees like we've done at every meeting for the last four years. I begin to tune out until I hear my name being called.

"Tris! Do you have any ideas for the sports section?" Mr. Collins asks. Everyone stares at me. I'm the head of the sports section so I'm in charge of what goes in the section about sports everyday. We don't have any sports going on at this time of the year so Mr. Collins wanted me to think of a creative idea to keep sports in the school.

"Um, I was thinking about including something about famous athletes that are from Chicago or surrounding areas. We could research them and have an article on a new athletes every day," I explain.

"So, what does everyone thinking of Tris's idea. Anyone disagree?" Mr. Collins asks. I look around and everyone seems to be agreeing with me. I tune out for the rest of the meeting since I only work with the sports. Before I know it, all the seniors on the staff are gathered together at the front while all the underclassmen scatter around the room, working on their assignments.

"What's wrong, Mr. Collins?" Missy ask innocently. Missy really can get annoying. And, for some reason, she has it out for me. I guess she can join the club.

"Well, somehow a college in New York got our papers. They have taken an interest in the talent of you all and are offering those of you who don't already have college plans a scholarship. Only one of you can get it, though," he explains. I look around the group and everyone seems very excited about it. I would love to at least try but I can't leave everyone here. And, I'm not sure that I'm the best writer in here. They would probably be better choices.

"What school is it?" a boy asks.

"New York University. It's a private school located just over a mile from Downtown NYC. It's the best in New York," he explains. Everyone starts chatting about this great opportunity but I keep to myself. He tells us to go to back to their seats. I stand up and push in my chair. I'm about to go to my computer and begin my research when Mr. Collins stops me. I follow him into his office and he asks me to sit down.

"What's wrong, Mr. Collins?" I ask, worried that I am in trouble. He pushes an application form across the desk.

"I noticed that you didn't seem too excited out there. Everyone took one of these except for you," he says. I bite my lip and look at him, unsure of how to explain this.

"Um, I'm not exactly sure about going to New York for college. I like it here with all of my friends and family. I doubt I would even be the one to get the scholarship," I explain. He stares at me for a few seconds and then he turns to his computer. I stay seated where I am, not sure if he wants me here or not.

"Dear, Mr. Edward Collins. We are a The New York University Journalism department. We would like to inform you that your school's newspaper has found its way to our campus. We have looked over it and discovered that it is buzzing with talent. Especially the sports column. We have an interest in your newspaper and an even bigger interest in that section of the paper. We want to offer the students of your newspaper staff the chance to come and be apart of our department. Please get students to fill out the applications attached to this email and we will look over them and decide on one student. Sincerely, The New York University Journalism Department," he reads. He looks over at me. His face shows no emotion but I know mine does. I can feel my open mouth. It's as if my jaw is resting on the floor.

"Are you serious?" I ask.

"Tris, I'm very serious. It seems that you have the best chance of all of you actually," he says.

"Thank you. I'll look over this when I get home," I say as I pick up the application. I stand up and walk out of his office to begin my work.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I did research the college and it's real. Please comment and leave ideas. Christmas presents for Tris and Four are needed! You can message me your ideas if you would prefer doing that. I wrote this on my kindle so it probably isn't the best quality.

Disclaimer: I do not own Divergent. Veronica Roth does.