Ch.9

"Edward Cullen, open the bloody door, or I will just teleport in there! I don't have to respect your privacy, I do it because I'm nice!" she yelled, banging on the door.
        I would've chuckled and answered the door, but I didn't want to see her again. In being the total opposite of Bella, she reminded me too much of her. I even kissed her. The guilt was too much.
        So I merely sighed before closing my eyes and continuing to lie on the sofa, being consumed by my thoughts.
        Suddenly, a pair of freezing hands flipped me over so I was then laying, face flat, on the floor. It didn't hurt me, but it do some good to irritate me further.
        "Hello, Darling," Elizabeth said casually, sitting on the sofa with her feet propped up on the table.
        "Hello," I replied in annoyance, getting off the floor, in no mood to talk.
        She tilted her head to the side. "Why didn't you answer the door?"
        I shrugged. "You're lyi-"
        "Yes, I'm lying to you," I said harshly, but I realized that was rude. "Sorry. I'm just. . . not interested in having company today."
        She frowned and put her feet down. "You're sad, more than before. And it's because of me. What did I do?"
        "Nothing."
        "Seriously, Edward, what's wrong?" she demanded.
        "It's nothing you did. It's just you!" I flung my arm out towards her.
        "Alright, now you're the one playing games." She studied me for a few moments. "Was it because of what happened yesterday?" I stayed silent.
        She jumped up, and put her hand under her chin. "Well, if you won't fess up, and you want me gone, then I'll see you later."
        She disappeared, and I fell back onto the couch. Why couldn't I be normal around her? I wanted her company- she seemed like a good friend and, in all honesty, I was a little tired of being alone, though I did deserve it- but I just couldn't be around her realizing her dissimilarity to Bella made me think of her more. I'd wanted to get away from my pain, not revisit it.
        And let's not forget that I can't read her mind, and she hasn't yet told me her story.
        I sighed. After a while of thinking about Elizabeth and her strange nature, I thought about the kiss and how I'd sent her away.
        Maybe it was because it was too quiet and maybe because I really did want company- or maybe it was because I was simply sick of thinking- but I began to, strangely, talk aloud to myself. Well, really, to Elizabeth, but she wasn't there to listen, which was, I suppose, better. . . or worse. "I want to speak with you, Elizabeth. I want to discuss these thoughts about Bella- about you- that are constantly pounding the inside of my skull. You're easy to talk to. But you remind me too much of Bella."
        I groaned.
        "I don't understand! I've only just met you , yet you act like the best friend I've ever had. And that kiss. . . Why are you so involved, anyway? What is it, Elizabeth? Why did you somehow wedge yourself into a complete stranger's life only to behave as if you've known me for years? What do you want?"
        A few moments passed where all I could hear was the sound of cars passing by outside.
        "I don't want anything. You're upset. I thought I could help," a quiet voice said.
        I sprang up into a sitting position on the couch. "Elizabeth?"
        She materialized on the floor, sitting with her legs crossed, next to where my head had been a second before. She smiled sadly. "There is no ulterior motive, Darling. I'm only here to help."
        "You were spying on me?" I asked, unbelieving as I stood up. "You left the apartment, though."
        "It's a flat," she corrected, ignoring my question. "And I didn't leave. I only made myself unseen. I figured if you didn't want to talk to me, you'd eventually start talking to yourself. It was a long shot, but, apparently, it was an accurate one."
        "But you spied on me!" I repeated.
        She stood up, rolling her eyes.
        "Yes, and I'm sorry for abusing that trust, really. However, you wouldn't tell me what was wrong, and since I was the problem, I thought I should know why."
        "That's. . . actually clever," I said, giving up. It's something I would have done actually.
        She beamed. "Now, what's this about me reminding you of Bella?"
        I groaned again, taking a seat on the sofa and covering my eyes. "It's ridiculous."
        "Humor me, then." I looked up. Her face was completely serious now. Elizabeth wasn't going to give up.
        "You and Bella are complete opposites," I blurted. She nodded for me to continue. "The more I look at you, I see the opposite of what she was. So, I see her. Right now, I see your grey eyes, but in my mind, I see her brown ones. That's why I kissed you, which was rude of me. Again, I'm sorry for that. It's just she's always here."
        Elizabeth didn't say anything for a moment after I'd finished.
        "You're right that is ridiculous."
        I rolled my eyes. "Well, thank you. That makes me feel so much better."
        Elizabeth sat down next to me. "I'm not going to baby you, when you don't need to be babied, Edward. I'm going to be honest with you. I'm not going to say anything different to what I really think. And I think that's total rubbish. Everyone is an individual. We're different persons, me and her, and I would think I wouldn't remind you more of her, not the other way around."
        I shook my head. "You do, though."
        "No, you just want to find a way to keep thinking of her, and then cover it up by acting like you believe you see her instead of me. She was her own person, Edward. Opposite to me or not, don't insult her memory by applying her person to me. That's not how it should work."
        I nodded. "I'm leaving now, Darling, this time for real. I'll be back tomorrow. I want you to think about what I've told you."
        I nodded again. Elizabeth left.
        Was she right? Was I really just forcing myself to think of Bella when I looked at Elizabeth, and then breaking my heart even more when I realize it isn't her?