Ch.6

Setting the book down, I scanned my eyes over the people, thinking about my conversation with Elizabeth. Something about her wasn't normal.
        Obviously, Edward.
        I tapped my fingers, impatiently, against my thigh. I was seated at the same bench I had watched Elizabeth from all those weeks ago. The sky was exceptionally cloudy today, and the only difference between then and today was that I now knew who the strange girl was; however, I am not sure that is such a good thing as she confused me even more now.
        "Hello, Edward," a soft voice whispered in my ear from behind. I jumped and then heard Elizabeth's melodic giggling.
        "Jumpy, today, aren't we, Mr. Cullen?" Elizabeth asked as I turned to face her. She was lying on her stomach, her face inches from mine. Quickly, though, she flipped over to lie on her back and closed her eyes, resting her hat on her stomach. She looked so peaceful, as if she didn't have a care in the world.
        "So did you figure it out?" she asked suddenly.
        "What?" I questioned absently as I'd been focused on the way her hair framed her face.
        "Did you figure out what I am?"
        "Oh. No, I did not."
        "Hmm. It seems you didn't try all that much."
        "Why can't you just be straightforward and tell me?"
        "I don't have to tell you anything, you know. I could very well disappear from your sight, never to be seen by you again."
        That made me curious, as well as a little smug. Thinking I had got her in whatever game, she had begun to play, I asked "Then, why don't you?"
        Elizabeth opened her eyes, her gaze immediately focusing on my own.
        "I suppose it's because I like your company."
        "So 'I could very well disappear' myself, and you wouldn't have my company," I reasoned, quoting her, smirking.
        She carried on as if I hadn't said anything. "Not many of your kind stay for long. Most simply pass through. It's been ages since I've had a decent conversation."
        My smugness disappeared as I realized she gave me a hint. "How long is 'ages'?"
        She shrugged. "Years."
        "How old are you?" I questioned.
        "It's not polite to ask a lady her age," Elizabeth said with a smirk. She answered anyway. "Physically, I'm seventeen, but in reality I'm 324 years old."
        "Wow," I whispered.
        "What about you? What's your age?"
        "Seventeen." I grinned, but she shot me a look, so I told her. "395."
        She whistled. "Grandpa."
        I laughed. "Hey, I'm 71 years older than you. Show some respect!"
        She laughed along with me.
        "I read the book," I said after a while.
        "Did you enjoy it?"
        "Surprisingly, yes. For a horror novel, it was enjoyable."
        She grinned. "You should watch the movie, it's absolutely chilling. I think it's still in theaters if you want to go."
        "Maybe." I smiled back.
        "So what'd you think of Jennet Humfrye? Did she scare you?"
        "Hardly. Though it made the plot good, her character didn't startle me in the slightest."
        "Why not?"
        "Because not much scares me anymore. Besides, I know nothing like her is real. The Woman in Black, please."
        "So you don't believe in the paranormal."
        "Of course I do- I'm a vampire."
        "Actually, vampires aren't considered paranormal anymore."
        "Really?"
        "They were horror, but now they're more fantasy because some lady published this ridiculous teen fiction about a love story with a vampire and a human. Now, all I see are little girls running around clutching the things to their chests." Elizabeth laughed. "Can you imagine? A vampire and a human? As if that could work."
        I gasped at her words.
        The stabbing in my chest returned as I thought of Bella. I could feel my hands shake under the table.
        Apparently, my pain was noticeable to Elizabeth because she sat up. She scrunched her eyebrows and gave me a concerned look.
        "Are you alright?"
        "Yeah." I stood up. "Yeah. I'm fine. I-uh-I need to go."
        "Did I say something wrong?" she asked quietly.
        I shook my head, refusing to look at her.
        "No-I'm just not feeling up to talking anymore."
        "Where are you going?"
        "I'm going to my apartment."
        I couldn't let her see me break down.
        I quickly strode away from her as a wave of depression came over me.
        "Wait! Will you come back?" she called.
        Would I? I didn't know. All I knew was I couldn't sit there while my misery tore through me.
        I ran all the way to the complex, not caring if I was going fast enough to raise questions. Once there, I slammed my room door shut.
        I let the cries that I'd been holding in go, and I sank to the floor. Suddenly, I became angry. I opened my eyes and I could only see red.
        I stood up, and flipped the table that been next to the door, smashing it to pieces. Everything became blurry and I couldn't think clearly through my rage.
        How dare she remind me of Bella, the only girl I've ever loved, ever will love?
        How dare she say it could never have worked between us?
        She didn't know, whispered the voice in my mind, but that's all it was. A whisper that I pushed away and paid no heed to as a brought my fist to the bed post.
        Everything that I touched. Crushed.
        Everything that I saw. Turned into rubble.
        Finally, when everything in the apartment had been destroyed, I crumpled into a heap on the floor, leaning on the overturned mattress that was now across the hall from where it should be.
        I pulled my knees to my chest and leaned my forehead on them. I stayed that way for a while. How long? I have no idea. It was a long while, judging by the searing thirst that entered my throat.
        I just wanted to sleep. I wanted to go into a dreamless, nightmare-less sleep and escape this torment.
        I wanted to hate her for all she did to me. But I couldn't. I wanted her to have loved me. But she didn't.
        I wanted to forget all about her. I wanted to be happy again. But I could never be happy again without her.
        All I wanted to do was to enter an endless darkness and never think again. I would do anything to leave all of this desolation behind me.
        I'd even go to the Volturi.
        "Edward?"
        Bella?