Ch.3

I looked out my window and sighed in discontent. It was night. Too far from morning.
I had already finished the novel that the girl had left, and now was just simply waiting for it to become day again.
My cell phone rang, and I barely glanced at the screen before answering.
"Alice."
"Hello, Edward," she chirped through the line.
"I didn't realize your call would be so soon."
"Well, yes. I had a vision. You seemed bored. You're welcome!"
I actually smiled at that. Alice and I have always been exceptionally close; she would be watching out for me, though I probably acted like nothing but depressed and miserable, and I loved her for that.
"Thank you, Alice."
We talked for a few hours, until the sun started to peak out through my window. It was nice to converse with my sister again, but it didn't make me completely happy like it used to.
"So about that walk the other day. . ." I could practically see her smiling.
I became interested. "What about it?"
"Did it help you clear your head?"
I thought for a moment.
"Not really."
"Oh." She sounded disappointed. Why?
"Is there something I should know, Alice?" I asked, wishing I could read her mind across seas.
"Not at all, Edward. Just. . .take a few more walks. They're good for you, you know."
"Good for humans, you mean. I'd be better off hunting, not taking strolls through a park."
She sighed heavily. "Edward, please, just do it. Parks in London are very nice. See some sights, meet some people."
That caused me to sit up from where I was laying. She definitely was keeping something from me. About that girl, perhaps?
"Alice. Who did you see me meeting in that vision?"
"I'm sorry, Edward. Um, Esme is calling me. I have to go," she said quickly.
"Alice!" The line went dead.
Frustrated, I hurled the only thing besides my phone across the room. The girl's book.
It wasn't enough to make a dent in the wall, but it sure damaged the binding of the novel.
Sighing, I went to pick it up. Why was Alice so against telling me about her vision. Did she see the blonde girl.
What made her so special? Was she even the person that Alice had seen? She must've been.
I waited until I couldn't anymore and grabbed my coat-only for appearances since I couldn't feel the cold air- and rushed from my apartment.
I stayed by the edge of the trees encircling the park, seeing as the clouds failed to hide the sun from view, and the nature of my skin, in response to the rays, would have raised questions that day.
She was there again, though it was early. Reading, yet, another book. Didn't she realize that she was leaving them for someone else to find?
I stayed there the entire day, again, clutching the two books I intended to return. I tried to read her mind with repeated fail. Like previous times, people around her barely paid attention to her, walking straight past her, sometimes almost into her.
Soon, it became dark. I was prepared to confront her, but then realized I could answer one of my questions.
Did she purposefully leave the books, or did she just forget them?
I waited patiently for her to leave. Waited to see her rise from her position in the grass and go.
But she didn't.
She stayed much later than anyone would stay out, especially in a city.
A car horn blared and, after the dense quiet that had taken the park from lack of pedestrians, my head turned to at the sudden noise. I quickly turned it back though so as not to miss-
I couldn't believe it. She was gone.
Cursing, I punched the not-so-thick tree next to me. It bent and snapped like a twig.
Great, just perfect. I ran to where the girl had been.
She had to be here. I had turned my head for less than a second! A mere second!
Laying in the grass was the book that she had been reading. I picked it up, and hurled it a mile off.
Still cursing under my breath, I went back to deal with the tree situation. I uprooted the stump, and moved it and the trunk to the deeper part of the forest, where I usually found small game.
Then, I ran back to search for novel I'd thrown, unable to leave it there. Once I had found it, I'd decided.
That is enough.
Tomorrow.
Tomorrow, I will definitely confront this elusive girl.

***

She wasn't there.
For the first time in weeks, she wasn't there.
Where was she? Did something happen to her? I frantically scanned the grassy area, thinking about where she could be. Maybe she was just a little late?
She'll be here. Every day, she's here. I hadn't realized how. . . dependent I had become on coming here to watch the mere girl read. But here I was, panic starting to bubble as the time continued to pass and still no sign of her appearing.
Maybe I should call Alice, and ask her if she's seen something. But I shook my head at the ridiculous idea. Why would Alice be watching for her? But she was in Alice's vision the first day, wasn't she, or, at least, that's what I assumed Alice had insisted I go to the park for?
I moved to go look for her, but then stopped.
For one, I didn't know where to start to look, or even where she lived. And two, why should I be so concerned to look for her?
Why have I been coming to just stand at the edge of the woods and watch her? Why was she so special? What else besides her mind interested me?
I tried to find an answer to these questions, but my own mind drew up a blank. After a moment of debate, I decided against fruitlessly searching for her and settled on trying to come up with an answer to my questions.
As said, her mind was an obvious lure. I couldn't read her thoughts. I needed to find out why she had the same ability as Bella *flinch*. It drove me mad, not knowing the thoughts of those around me when I couldn't.
Another thing, the mere air of mystery that she carried. Every day, all day, she was there in the same spot, reading whatever book, she brought. Then, she left it for whoever- in this case me- to pluck it off the ground and take it with them. I now have stacks upon stacks of book in my flat, almost as many as the number of books I had kept in America. Also, I never see her leave, even when I never take my eyes off of her. It seems if I even blink, she won't be there anymore. Something about her seemed off, and it aroused a great curiosity.
But also, no one seemed to realize she was there, as if she wasn't. No one spared her even a glance. I found it utterly confounding how no one took notice of her; she was beautiful.
But she's no Bella, the voice spoke again. You'll never have her again.
"Shut up, and go away," I spoke harshly, to. . . myself. Can vampires truly go insane?
"Well, fine. I just wanted to say hello, but apparently I'll be going then."
I spun around.
It was the girl! She was here today, she's alright.
Thank God, she's safe. I shocked myself with that thought. I didn't even know her name and was relieved at the assurance that she was in no danger.
I stood there, analyzing her. She was a little under my height, now that I could see her standing. She clutched a book to her chest, and had a guarded, but curious, expression on her face.
"Hello? What? You can stare at me like creeper for weeks, but when it comes to speaking, you can't?"
I took notice of her accent- it was surprisingly American.
If I had the ability, I would have blushed. Finally, I spoke. "Hello, I'm Edward Cullen."
"Elizabeth Hawking."
I tried reaching into her mind again, seeing if the closer distance would help, but the attempt was in vain. Still nothing. But while, focusing on her, my other senses picked something up. . .

. . . She had no heartbeat.