Ch.4

No heartbeat.
        No. Heartbeat.
        She's a vampire. She must be. I kept my face emotionless, as I inconspicuously sniffed the air. But she doesn't have a scent?
        "Well, Mr. Cullen, why have you been watching me? You know? While lurking in the shadows right before you go off hunting rabbits," she hinted, sitting down, cross-legged, while studying me with her storm grey eyes. Probably contacts, so as to be less noticeable by humans.
        "I- well, first off, obviously, you know what I am, and I you, so I apologize for being in your territory. I didn't realize the area already had a permanent residing occupant and didn't mean to hunt in your home," I rushed out.
        She smiled and nodded. "Right, I do know what you are. I mean, after all, it's not every day, someone notices me. Those who do don't stay long, anyway. That would make you very special."
        What does that mean?
        I coughed. But vampires don't need to cough, so that just showed her I'm uncomfortable. Great way to make an impression, Edward.
        "However," she continued, "that doesn't answer my question."
        "Wait a second. I have questions of my own." Elizabeth smirked.
        "Really? What do you want to know?"
        How can I ask why I can't read her mind? I can't.
        "I-uh. . . "
        She grinned.
        "Well, while you figure that out, why've you been watching me? I couldn't possibly that interesting from what you've seen." She held up the book.
        "I was not watching you," I started. "I was observing you. Your mind- I can't read it." Not much better.
        "Aahh, your one of those 'ability-owners'." She raised her finger and did quotations.
        I nodded, and she scowled.
        "The last time I met one of you with an 'ability', it ended badly for me."
        "I won't hurt you." She laughed with contempt, but it sounded melodic.
        "I'm past the point of being hurt. It's impossible now."
        "I don't understand." I could feel myself frown, but she smiled softly.
        "You don't need to know."
        "Why can't I read your mind?" My voice dropped, and it suddenly became very silent.
        She sighed.
        "The answer is simple. It's because I'm dead."