Ch.1

Edward's P

Edward's P.O.V.

"Edward, please come visit. Esme is going insane. We all miss you," my sister, Alice said on the other end of the line, as I sat outside a mostly empty cafe.
"I'm not going back there, Alice. It's too soon," I replied. I heard Rosalie, my other sister, scoff in the background.
"Too soon?" she shouted. "Tell him, he's being an idiot! It's been almost three hundred years. Every one that she knew is dead, and that includes her, which is, by the way, the reason we came back. He's got to move on, eventually."
I heard my voice grow cold. "I can hear you, Rosalie. And may I remind you that time doesn't always heal all wounds. You of all people should know that," I spoke harshly into the receiver.
Rosalie shot a string of curses at me, and Alice tried to calm her down. As they argued, I wondered if I should just hang up. Maybe I should visit the nearby park; it was cloudy enough, and a walk might do me some good in helping to clear up my deranged mind.
There was the sound of sharp footsteps and the slamming of a door. I assumed Rosalie left.
"Edward, just please think abou-" Alice stopped talking, which could only mean she was having a vision. Then, she started to giggle in excitement.
"What did you see Alice?" I asked, a little curious, but maybe I shouldn't have asked as that will only prolong this conversation.
"Were you planning on going to go to the park, today?" she asked, ignoring my question.
"Yes, maybe. Why? What did you see?" I asked again, more attentive.
"A walk in the park sounds lovely. Make sure you leave right now. And hurry."
"Alice-"
"Just trust me, Edward."
I sighed. "Alright. I'll call you another time."
"No, you won't, I'll be the one to call, but thank you for the gesture. I'll send everyone your regards."
I hung up, shaking my head. I guess the park was a definite point on today's itinerary, not that it included much already. For the past two hundred years, I've been living in London. I haven't been talking to anyone, not even my family. That conversation with Alice was the most I've said in a long time.
My heart clenched when I thought about the reason I was there in the first place. NO! I will not think about that now, I thought furiously.
I placed a few British pounds on the table, paying for the untouched tea in front of me.
Making my way to the park, I tried to ignore the thoughts of those who walked by me.
These tourists are annoying.
I wonder why Mummy wouldn't let me ride the trolley.
I hope One Direction will come back to London soon!
These Uni exams will be the death of me.
These were the typical, moronic dribbles that came from the same people, everyday. It's terribly boring, having to read everyone's thoughts. I wish I could have the chance to guess at someone's thoughts, no matter how infuriating it would be. I wanted a challenge, a mind that would intrigue me.
But you had that, a voice whispered in the back of my mind. And you lost it. To a dog.
I shook my head, my eyes stinging from the extra venom that was being produced since I couldn't cry real tears. I held my breath, refusing to start dry sobbing.
Upon reaching the park, I decided to stay by the shaded tree areas, as some sun had begun to poke out, and I couldn't risk being seen.
The walk had done nothing to untangle my hectic thoughts; I was better off doing a run through the mountains. Actually, that sounds like a good idea: some nice, snowy, isolated mountains, where no one can find me, and I can wallow in my heartache for the rest of my meaningless eternity.
Sigh. Nothing here has captivated me, I might as well go back to my apartment, or "flat", as they call it here, and lock myself in my room- again.
As my eyes grazed over the faces- and thoughts- of the countless number of people one more time, they stopped as soon as they landed on a girl with blonde hair. She was laying in the grass, reading a book. No one paid any attention to her, as if she wasn't there. Children were running around, and jumping over her, but she didn't seem to mind, not even react. When I tried to read her thoughts. . . nothing.
Blank.
I gasped.
She's- She's like Bella. I flinched at the name, but no one could see me from where I stood to notice. I wanted to approach her- discover how and why her mind functioned like my beloved's, but I couldn't move or be exposed to the sunlight that was just starting to shine more bright. I growled at the unexpected weather change.
I resigned myself to just standing there, watching her. She never moved unless it was her eyes scan the page, or her lips to read to herself, or her hand turn a page. The only way she showed any type of emotion was when her eyebrows scrunched together. I took that as a sign of her confusion to the plot.
I hadn't realized how much time had passed, but it before I knew, it was dark. People cleared out of the park, and only a few remained, including the girl. She still stayed to read her book, which confused me.
I averted my eyes to watch a couple taking a stroll. I sighed, once again thinking about when I had a soul mate to share my life with.
I returned my eyes back to the spot with the girl, but she wasn't there. She must have gone while I had my head turned. Seeing something in the grass where she had been, I bent to pick it up. It was her book. I looked around once more to see if she may still be here. Putting the book in my coat pocket, and seeing no trace of her, I left to go to my apartment.
My throat burned again, and I thought to make a stop in the nearby forest for some game. Though the wildlife here was very limited, the biggest animals being some rabbits and foxes, I didn't feel like going far for a meal.
While I fed, my mouth turned downwards in, not disgust, but disfavor. What wouldn't I do for a mountain lion to just start walking through the streets of London?
Upon reaching the flat, I entered my room, and laid down on the bed, even though I had no real use for it. I laid on my side and stared at the empty space beside me. I missed watching Bella sleep, having her mumble my name as she cuddled next to me. I missed her brown eyes that would give every thought and emotion away, when I couldn't listen in on her mind. I missed her warm skin and rosy cheeks that would only get redder every time I looked at her and touched her face.
I missed her. My eyes stung again, and I let a sob escape my throat. No one would hear as my quiet sobs racked my body.
The pain in my chest grew again, and I felt a pang for my human. My love. The one I would give up anything for.
She stopped loving you. She was never yours.
"Get out of my head," I whispered harshly to the maddening voice that haunted my thoughts as I pulled at my hair. I felt like I was losing a mental battle.
My eyes wandered over to my coat, hanging on the back of a chair, more specifically the bulge in the pocket.
I took the book out and began reading, needing a distraction, no matter how small.
By morning I had finished it. It wasn't that good of a story, but an interesting enough plot.
I should return this, I thought. I technically stole it. That girl might've just dropped it, and was looking for it.
I was curious to as whether she'll be there again, today, anyway.
Around the same time as yesterday, I set out and headed towards the park.