Letter Eight

"Saihara what are you doing? You've been skipping lunch" Momota asked and I yawned shoving the letter back in my bag.

"Nothing much..." I told him, "I was reading some books..." I mumbled, "you sure? What were those envelopes you keep reading in class?" He asked.

I felt nervous, "oh...nothing much don't worry about it" I told him, "I gotta go...bye" I mumbled and quickly left.

It lies in between two sides.
Two worlds.
Seperated by a single river.

I walked around town after getting some coffee as I tried to think of what Ouma was talking about.

Then I saw the bridge.

It was well known because it seperated the more middle class area, where I lived and the school was and the more lower class area.

Where most of Ouma's letters told me to go, the lower area. It wasn't as if that area was that bad even if it had more crime it just was more lively.

I walked onto the bridge and looked around for any sign of the envelope seeing it tied with a ribbon reminding me of Ouma's scarf.

It only had one image drawn on. A simple chair tipped over on the floor.

Dear Saihara~

Oh good the wind didn't kidnap my letter. The wind is a mass thief Saihara, it kidnapped my homework multiple times.

Sure it did.

That's a lie~

Called it.

I need a favor again Saihara. If you actually don't care at all about it. Don't open it or read it though, please just don't.

It's folded up behind this and I want you to rip it up as much as you can and throw it over.

If not...do whatever you want with it. I don't care anymore. Save it to the end though k?

You still have to read this letter.

A year ago we fought and stopped hanging out. Which sucked a lot since I ended up sitting next to you this year.

Seriously that's awkward.

I kind of spent the last few letters avoiding this. I don't know why though...

You can probably guess what I was considering here for a long time. I'm just going to sum it up, I wanted to die.

I was going to finally give everyone what they wanted and die. You saw my yearbooks. You know what I did to myself.

And DICE...they couldn't always be there for me. They couldn't go to our school which sucked. I bet you would get along with them if you met them.

After all they're like your favorite supreme leader. Only more likeable!

I thought about it a lot and was so close to doing it that day. I was so close to jumping off the bridge.

I had already taken off my shoes and everything Saihara, I just didn't care anymore. What was the point?

No. Ouma why? Why would you ever try that? That fight was so stupid I regret even fighting. I regret not saying sorry.

I'm sorry Ouma.

I was about to let go when I saw them. Some of DICE were roaming about and laughing just a few minutes away. They didn't see me but I saw them.

I couldn't die right in front of them...heh they would kill me again if I did.

So I didn't. Maybe it was because they somehow gave me hope. Maybe because I didn't really wanna go through with it. Maybe because I wasn't in the mood for a lecture.

I just didn't die that day. And I never went to that bridge alone again.

I considered it still a lot after that. I'm considering it now to be honest. It would be quick and probably not that painful.

I don't get to make that choice anymore though. It was hard enough just planning for these letters.

Why am I telling you this? Do you even care? Are you even the one reading this Saihara or are you some random stranger?

I'm reading Ouma! I care! I care! I'm going to make up for this...I...I don't want you to die.

For all the times he annoyed me and teased me he made me laugh and smile and I couldn't imagine life without him.

Maybe you're not. I guess that's fine. I deserve it. Who knows you might be reading this years later than when I wrote it.

About this weird kid you knew in school.

Saihara...you were one of my best friends back when we were younger. So thanks.

That's the only reason I really am writing these to you. Because I saw you as my only friend outside DICE. So yeah.

You still have some to go don't you? Heh. Here's your riddle. No...not really a riddle anymore. Close enough I guess.

Where the knights of the 53rd order meet.

I hope I see you again soon Saihara.

From,
Kokichi Ouma.

I looked at the other letter Ouma had given me. I knew it was a suicide note now.

I tore it to pieces and fed it to the sea.