Letter One

Sometimes life is confusing.
You never really know how things will turn out.
You wish you could change things, reverse time itself.
But we're just stuck dwelling in our present forever or going forward

~

I walked into class like normal, I could already tell how cheerful everyone was before I even opened the door. My friends just doing their own things.

Shinguji was planning a seance, Yonaga and her student council praying to Atua, and Akamatsu was talking about a piano recital to Amami.

Everything was nice and peaceful. Something feels wrong...for once when it's peaceful I feel more tense than when everything is in chaos...how ironic.

I sighed. It just seemed quieter than usual. At least I could pinpoint what exactly was missing from everyday life, usually happened right next to me or I would get dragged in. Not today though.

Today Harukawa wasn't chasing down Ouma as per usual and Momota wasn't losing his mind with the prank Ouma would have pulled by now.

Instead Harukawa and Momota are in the corner talking about something, Harukawa giving the occasional eyeroll maintaining the calm atmosphere.

The source of those two's frustrations wasn't here, commonly known as Kokichi Ouma.

Ouma wasn't at school today, in all honesty he hasn't come for a while now. No one can really tell why though some theories have spread. It's high school I guess, so it's only natural.

Some people conspired he was expelled or just suspended finally for all the pranks he have pulled. Like the one last year, the memory was still haunting me.

Others theorized he might have moved or transferred. Their evidence being since Ouma didn't have any friends why would he bother telling us or saying goodbye?

Then some just guessed he was sick or ditching. That seemed the most likely to me, Ouma never seemed to like school very much. He often described it as hell.

I sat down at my desk and checked my bag for all my books. Occasionally giving a glance over at the empty desk next to me. Ouma's desk. It was a noticable change seeing as I could finally pay attention in class again without his napping or telling jokes.

Still, I missed him. Maybe I should say sorry soon then...no he should apologize first...

I shook my head trying to concentrate, and was starting to get out my work and start the day when I noticed an envelope sticking out of my desk. Curiously I took it out.

It was definitely childish to say the least. The envelope was drawn all over in crayons, with little pictures of an organization and a drawing of Ouma waving hello to me. The vibe I got from it made me smile.

In the center was a large number one in permanent marker. Curiosity over whelming me I opened it up.

Dear Saihara~

What? It actually is a letter? Not some elaborate prank he somehow put in an envelope? That's weird. No one writes letters anymore except my Uncle, but he's always been old fashioned...

I continued reading.

And if you're not Saihara hands off stop reading or I'll sick my orginization against you!

Yup. This was definitely from Ouma.

Hey Saihara! Remember me? I hope you do if my beloved detective forgot about me then...you're so mean!

I laughed a little on the side of that text was a drawing of Ouma with his crocodile tears asking 'why Saihara?'

It made me chuckle a little.

Hey remember when we were kids? You and me were best friends! You used to hide under that dumb old hat of yours! And I would always have to steal it away from you! Seriously Shumai I hated that stupid hat! You looked so cute without it :p

I rolled my eyes at his flirtatious teasing he was known for. We were childhood friends? I didn't remember that. A tiny sense of suspicion made me wonder if that was a lie or not. Still this would be a weird one even for him unless he got some kind of gain.

Wait a second did he just call me cute?

And that space obsessed weirdo was still an idiot back then too! He would always scream that he was going to go to space! Idiot. At least he didn't blab about hope all the time back then or steal my beloved Saihara Chan from me.

As much as he annoys me though I'm glad I knew enough science stuff to tell him that the Earth was flat. How long did he believe that for?

At least till third grade right? Remember how angry he was when he saw me grinning and we ended up running all the way across school?

That idiot never checked the tree though, idiot how long did it take him to look up?

I held back laughter, the day Momota figured out the earth wasn't flat and saw Ouma's grin he ended up chasing him around the school for hours.

Ouma screaming the whole time 'the Earth is flat' to Momota's dismay. Then later Harukawa came into the mix and nearly choked Ouma with how much he annoyed the two. At the time a bit deserved.

We used to play a game remember? We would build a giant pillow forts and you would bow before me!

I was the king of sleep! I stole that title from one of my best friends by the way. She wasn't very happy with me when I came up with it.

You were the best servant ever! It made me not send you to Siberia!

Did I really do all those things? I did have a faint recollection of Ouma wearing a silly paper crown when we were kids.

His big grin, he was missing one of his front teeth back then and he always had a bandage on because of how much he played dangerous games.

He was really cute. Wait what am I thinking?

We were best friends back then...you forgot about that didn't you.

You were the coolest friend ever.

If this really wasn't a lie then I felt even worse. How could I forget if I had ever been friends with Ouma? I guess I can only blame us growing up.

My mind reflected back to last year. The feeling of dread only grew as regret started to creep in.

Just kidding! I didn't need you! Did you really think I was sad Saihara Chan? You must be really dense XP

That sounded right. I instantly groaned realizing how this must have all been some sort of lie.

I just want to play a game with you Saihara. It's a fun one I promise! Or is that a lie?

I don't know if I believe that. Ouma's idea of fun is...interesting to say the least.

I hid these letters all around town! It's your job to find them all and follow all my directions ok?

When you do you get to find your beloved supreme leader! Even if you find me just so you can beat me up I still will be waiting :P

Beat him up? Why would I want to do that? Is it...because of what I said? Does he think I'm still mad?

I really need to fix things between us, we're graduating soon for peep sake.

So here's a little riddle for Shumai.

I'm hidden in a castle of dreams.

Good luck Saihara! I hope you find me soon I can't wait much longer!

From,
Kokichi Ouma

As much as I usually avoided childish games like this I admitted to liking the challenge. Fine.

I will play this game with him. If only to make him come back in time for finals week.