six [s]

wednesday,
april 3rd, 2020

SHAWN MENDES

"Relax, man," Geoff says as the elevator rises to the rooftop bar in 230 Fifth's.

I nod my head, taking a deep breath and willing myself to quit the leg shaking. I shake my shoulders out and run a hand through my combed hair. I focus on the little screen above the doors that display the floor numbers as we climb higher.

Tonight is the launch party for a brand new, redesigned edition of People Magazine. I know Trinity will be here, and maybe that's why my nerves are through the roof. Instead of Jade, Geoff is accompanying me. He's a good friend of mine in this industry and I turned to ask him before anybody else when I knew Jade couldn't make it. We're both dressed fancily in classy suits. Tiff chose mine for me but Geoff was left to fend for himself. He definitely cleaned up well though. I'm wearing a black suit with detailed lining and a white patterned shirt. Geoff rocks a navy blue suit with a black shirt.

The elevator reaches the rooftop all too soon. I mentally brace myself, clearing my throat and fixing the collar of my shirt in the lift mirror before following Geoff out. The breeze hits us, followed by warmth from the outdoor heaters as we approach a vast seating area.

The rooftop is buzzing with people from the magazine. Plus guests, assuming I'm invited. There's laughter amongst the chatter, and the whole thing feels relaxed. Everybody's looking dressy but the launch has a certain calm vibe to it. Thank God. There's two bars with a short queue of people at each. For seating, there's a wide variety. Couches, armchairs, bar stools. There's a fire pit that isn't alight, instead fairy lights are draped across the square stoning. Fairy lights hang from the pillars at each corner of the roof as well. There's a handful of potted plants dotted around and plenty of space to mingle.

"Mr. Mendes!" Mr. White appears, patting my shoulder. He holds what seems to be a glass of bourbon in his opposite fist. "I'm glad you could make it. Have you read your interview?"

I smile and shake my head, "I must get on that."

Geoff politely excuses himself to grab a drink and I ask him to get me a scotch on the rocks with lime.

"You definitely should. There's magazines all over the place up here! They'll be on a few side tables and probably by the bar, if you get a chance," the grey-haired man informs me.

Mr. White has got to be around 50, but man he has aged well. His grey hair is gelled back smoothly and his beard to match is trimmed. He's a tall man, an inch taller than me. His eyes are a deep blue and his shoulders are broad, but the rest of him is slim. I feel like he's aged in a George Clooney kind of way. He looks very well for his age.

"I definitely will read it," I promise and he nods with a grin.

Suddenly, something from the corner of his eye catches his attention and he stretches a hand out over to the side. I follow the direction, my eyes landing on Trinity right away. Mr. White calls her name as he gently taps her upper arm. My eyes almost fall out of my skull. She looks fucking stunning. Absolutely unbelievable. Did she do this on purpose?

"Oh hi Mr. White!" she enthusiastically greets, joining us. "Mr. Mendes, have you seen the article?"

"I was just telling your boss here that I'll read it when I get the chance. I'm sure you did a brilliant job of writing it up though," I say once I've slightly gained some composure and confidence.

Trinity slightly blushes and even though it's dark, I can see the pink overrunning her prominent cheekbones. She wears a black classy, wide-leg jumpsuit with a sort of cream, laced bodice. The legs fall right to her toes and her hair is beautifully done in a curly, messy low bun. I think I almost fell over when I first laid eyes on her.