Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Abbey looked at the man in shock. She was starting to hyperventilate suddenly the air seemed to have been sucked from the car and she couldn’t breathe. “No,no,no.” She said through panicked breaths.

The man put his hand on her leg, “I’m not going to hurt you,” he said trying to ease her but it just made her worse.

“Calm down!” the man shouted.

She was grabbing at the door trying to open it. The man slammed the breaks on jerking her forward. The seatbelt stopped her hitting her head off the dash, but the force of it threw her back into the seat sharply. The air really had been knocked out of her now.

“We can do this the hard way or the easy way which is it to be?” he asked losing his patience. He wasn’t used to hysterical women. He was a hit man he just killed people he didn’t have to get this close, but no one else was available to do this job and Jessica thought he would terrify Abbey enough.

“I don’t want to do it anyway. I just want to go!” she sobbed. For someone strange reason Pete wanted to comfort her now. What was wrong with him he wasn’t emotionally attached to his work.

“Please, stop crying.” He lifted her chin up so she was looking right at him. He thought she was beautiful her icy blue eyes and beautiful long blonde hair made her look like an angel. How could Greg hit her if she was his he would protect her with his life.

“Sweetheart all I want you to do is drop the charges against Greg. I don’t want to hurt you.” He told her calmly. He had been paid to torture her, and to scare her into submitting to what he wanted, but she was tugging on his heartstrings and he couldn’t do it.

Abbey looked at Pete his hand was still holding her chin and he looked sad.

 “What are you going to do if I don’t?” she asked him sniffing and holding back more tears.

Pete sighed and let go of her face. He pulled a bag out of the back of the car and opened it. Abbey watched in horror as he pulled a gun out. She stopped breathing, as she watched him. He passed it from one hand to another then looked at her with guilt etched across his face.

Abbey couldn’t believe it this is. What her life had come to. What had she accomplished? Nothing, she couldn’t even add a happy marriage to the list or children she was going to die so young.

Then her mind wandered to Sam. She wished she had left Greg when Sam asked the first time. She would have been happy with him she knew it, but now she was never going to get the chance to tell him that she actually loved him. She had played with his feelings and it was wrong. She wanted the chance to apologise and make everything alright.

Pete snapped her out of her thoughts as he put the gun back in the bag, what did it mean? Was he not going to kill her.

“That is a last resort that’s the hard way.” He informed her looking guilty. She looked down at her hands. She didn’t have a choice, well she did death at the hands of Pete, or get Greg released. The thought of husband had her shaking that much that the idea of being shot seemed like the easy way out.

“I think that would be easier.” She said as she looked at him. Pete smiled sadly at her. The poor girl must have been truly scared of Greg to practically ask to be killed.

“Come on let’s take you to the police station.” Pete wasn't laying a finger on her, so he took the descion to take her to the station and pray she did what she was told.

Abbey knew she wasn’t going to have a say. Clearly, Pete didn’t want to kill her but he would if necessary. Abbey was beyond depressed all she wanted was Sam. He could make her feel better.