i love you- steve rogers

Start from the beginning

He picked you up into his arms and with Pietro's help, rushed your limp form back to the Quinjet as fast as he could.

...

Steve's POV

From there, it was all a blur. Everything was hurting for Steve: his legs, his arms, his head, and his heart. To see you fall like that literally broke him, twisting his stomach into a knot and making his chest ache with unimaginable pain. Now him, you, and the team were on the flight back home, after rushing you onto the jet in the hopes of saving you before it was too late.

That entire time out on the battlefield, he never stopped running, even though he grew dangerously close to just giving up. Because he was thinking of you.

He didn't even know he was capable of making such a sound, his shouts nearly damaging his own hearing, but it was the result of thinking that he could possibly lose you.

If he lost you, he didn't know what he'd do. Maybe die of sorrow.

He was anxiously waiting at the front of the Quinjet, pacing back and forth as you were being treated in the back room by Wanda and Vision.

Bucky noticed his friend's unsteadiness and concerned expression, and placed a firm hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, man, you okay?"

"No," the Captain sighed, staring down at his hands, which were clenching and unclenching in fear. "She might be dead. What if she's dying? I can't lose her. I can't even bring myself to think about it."

"We just have to wait and hope for the best. That's all we can really do as of right now."

"If she doesn't make it---"

"You can't say that, Steve, if you don't know what the future holds."

"Guys," Pietro came rushing out from the back room. "She's flatlining, and we need all hands on deck. We need to hurry if we want to save her."

At those words, Steve's heart dropped to his toes in shock. His heart began pounding rapidly as he rushed over to the back where you were, lying motionless on the bed. Another sob threatened to work its way out of his mouth, but he held it all back, biting his lip in anxiety.

They all began emergency CPR on you, and after twenty minutes, became close to giving up. But Steve, determined to see you laugh and get up again, pushed them all to keep going. So they cranked up the power to full blast, and made one last push.

Seconds went by before they heard a small breath, hearing you come back to life. You sat up abruptly and looked around, confused. Relieved sighs sounded across the room as they saw that you were in fact, alive, and okay.

"Y/N," he breathed out.

"Steve," you smiled, wrapping your arms around his neck as his wound their way around your torso, careful to avoid where you'd been hit. He rested his chin on your head, pulling back to press his lips to your forehead and look at you again.

"I thought I lost you," he said. "I thought I lost you, you almost died..."

"I'm alive, Steve, I'm okay," you reassured him in a calming voice. "I'm okay. Thank you guys so much for saving me," you turned your head to smile at the others. "If it weren't for you..."

"Thank god, thank god, thank god," he murmured into your hair, refusing to let go of you even as you went back to your seats. "I thought I'd never see you again."

"Who was that screaming at the end?" you questioned as you laid your head on his shoulder. "Was that you?"

"Yeah," he admitted. "I was so angry with that guy who shot you. So I hunted him down and beheaded him with my shield."

"You what?"

"I'm serious."

"Why do you care so much?"

"Because I love you," he answered a few moments later.

A small smile appeared on your face. "You what?"

"I can say that again. I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too, Cap," you grinned, kissing his cheek as Clint and Bucky fangirled over the two of you.