Pen Pals with The Devil

Começar do início

A woman spotted him and brought it to him. "$7.62 is your total, dear."

Matt took a dollar bill out of his pocket. "Keep the change he said." 

The woman smiled at him. "You have a good one." She said, walking away. 

"Come on, kid." Matt said, stepping out of the booth he and Oliver sat in. 

Oliver took one last sip of his apple juice before following Matt. 

They walked out into the street.  

"You said the Avengers? That's who he's working for now?" Matt looked at him. 

"He doesn't work for them. They're his family." Oliver explained. 

"Uh-huh." Matt nodded as he walked, tapping his cane. 

"I thought he was a bad guy because I had heard many bad things about him, but he's actually really nice." Oliver said. 

"Really?" Matt asked. 

"Yeah." Oliver smiled. 

///0///0

"I have a dog named Rex, and he really likes Bucky, but I don't think Bucky likes him all that much." Oliver told Matt as they sat on a bench at a park now. "Well, I wouldn't say he doesn't like him. I think he's just more of a cat person." 

"What makes you think that?" Matt asked, listening to Oliver.

"Well, we have a cat named Sassy, and Bucky likes her a lot." Oliver said. "I think she likes him too because she liked it when he pet her and would always cuddle on his lap, which isn't very common of cats because they're really antisocial." 

"And what do you think about his metal arm?" Matt asked.

"I think it's cool. My brother has one too." 

"How come?" 

"He lost his right arm during an accident when he  saved my papa's life." Oliver made that up to cover up what had really happened. 

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"Don't be." Oliver said. "It's not your fault. Accidents happen. Peter doesn't mind it. He's doing a lot better. He said his arm was a small price to pay for saving my papa's life." 

"Hm." Matt nodded. "Sounds like your family is very close." 

"We are. Which reminds me of this one time we were on a trip to Disney, and my papa got lost..."

///0///0

"And it turns out his phone had died, and he couldn't get in contact with us." Oliver laughed.

Matt laughed a little. "So he really eats his sandwiches without the crust?" He asked walking along with Oliver.

The two were making their way downtown.

"Yup." Oliver nodded.

"Sounds like an interesting family." Matt laughed.

"What about you Matt? Do you have a family" Oliver asked. 

"Well, it's complicated." Matt sighed. "I don't know what happened to my mother. I never got to know her. My father raised me. He was a boxer." Matt explained. 

Oliver listened.

"He was tough." Matt said with a bit of laughter in his voice. "He was murdered for winning a fight he wasn't suppose to win." 

Oliver let his head fall. "I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's fine." Matt said. "I have a little family I made myself." 

Oliver looked up at him. 

Matt smiled. "I have my buddy Foggy from college and a friend named Karen. They're really good people. They're my family."

Oliver smiled. "I could be your family." 

"Thanks kid." Matt smiled down at him. "But I have to get you to your family." Matt said. "Your parents must be worried sick. You've been missing for how long now?" 

"Two and a half, maybe three days." Oliver told him. 

"Well I tell you...a kid like you wouldn't last long out here, especially with that black eye." 

"Yeah, I wouldn't think so." Oliver said, looking ahead of the two. He noticed Matt's cane as it tapped the concrete repeatedly. "How long have you been blind for?" 

"Ever since I was nine." Matt told him. 

"And how did it happen?" 

"I got chemicals in my eyes after saving a man from getting hit by a transport truck." 

"So you've been saving lives since you were nine, huh?" Oliver asked Matt. 

"I guess you could say that." Matt said with a cheeky smile. 

The two kept walking in the streets of New York.