Part Three: 7

"This is ridiculous."

Harel rose a cool brow at Gomar's statement. "What is? The fact that we are about to face the queen or that I am forced to act as though we are engaged?"

Gomar glanced his way then groaned. She mumbled something then began to pace again.

Worry ate at Harel. If they did not move fast, they might end up being late. He had made sure to come early enough. Jehu had offered one of his more luxurious carriages but Harel had refused it. He went with the best he could rent. It wasn't much: a fine wooden structure comfortable enough to take them to their destination and back. In the midst of it all, he was trying his hardest to hide the fact he was not as calm as he appeared. Acting foolishly besotted would do him no good. Cool and calm. Cool and calm, Harel.

Gomar was anything but cool and calm though. She was yet to stop pacing the length of the foyer of her home. Her garment, a cream silken creation with sparkling beads at the hem and sleeves, swished around her feet as she moved. The length of her hair fell over both shoulders and swayed as she moved. Was it always that dark?

"What possessed Jehu to say that?" She looked his way, trapping him in the prison of an intense accusatory glower.

Harel raised both hands as though in surrender. "Jehu did this, not me."

She snorted then resumed her pacing. "This wasn't part of the plan. You were not part of the plan."

Harel frowned at the statement but chose to ignore it. Perhaps another time. "Look." He waited until she paused her back and forth and faced him. "Jehu gave me instructions."

That got her attention fast. She stood straighter, shoulders loosening a bit. "Go on."

Leaning against the wooden surface of the coach, Harel forced a relaxed demeanour. "Remember that soldier I and Jared found? The one we brought here."

She wrinkled her nose and nodded once. "What about him?"

"He is dead." Harel let his hands drop and took a few steps in her direction. "He was not to only one with the same... strange appearance." He sighed and massaged his temple. It wasn't even noon yet and he was already developing a headache. "Remember many years ago, when you mentioned Naboth saving I and some people?" He watched her face carefully at the mention of Naboth's name. No reaction. Shrugging internally, he trudged on. "I helped save one of them from getting sacrificed on the altar of Baal. And it goes deeper than that, darker. Just..." he glanced at the sky, searching for the right words. "Understand that facing that woman, even for something as simple as sharing a meal terrifies me"—so much for being a man—"She once nearly killed me through that beast she calls a bodyguard. I still marvel at her inability to recognise me."

He had Gomar's total attention now. "She tried to kill you?" There was a hint of sympathy in her gaze. He frowned. The last thing he needed was Gomar's pity.

Clearing his throat, Harel stood straighter. "I guess what I am trying to say is we should be very careful. The queen is the last person to have a plan about. I am here because Jehu forced my hand. Left to me, I would be as far away from her as possible."

Jutting her chin, Gomar squared her shoulders and looked at him with stubborn eyes. "I am not scared of the queen."

"Well," Harel shrugged, "I am terrified of her. Just come. We are running late already." He offered a hand.

"Very well." She marched right past him and his outstretched hand, her nose in the air.

"How comforting," Harel mumbled before turning and heading for the coach too.