Prologue

878 BC. Sidon

From her place behind the veil, Jezebel took in his general appearance--his bland expression, graceful fingers that constantly pushed stubborn locks off a strong forehead, and deep pink lips that were pressed in a flat line. He was the youngest at the gathering, maybe a few years older than she was.

"What has captured your interest, dear girl?"

Jezebel dragged her eyes from the perfect vision and met her mother's harsh gaze. The only soft-looking thing about Jabhal's appearance was the curtain of black hair that fell forward as she bent her tall frame at the waist, dwarfing Jezebel's thirteen-year-old figure.

"Who is that?" Jezebel glanced at the boy's direction.

At that precise moment, he wove his fingers through his hair, making Jezebel almost swoon at the suave motion. His hair was the first thing she had noticed about him; it was deep brown and hung to his shoulder in gentle curls. When he turned to face his father, his dark eyes reflected the glow of the lamps, making him look even more breathtaking.

"Why do you ask? Does my little desert flower find him interesting?" Jabhal's voice was sweet but Jezebel did not miss the hardness that lined it. It was clear mother was displeased with her interest in the boy, but Jezebel was too smitten to care.

"He is so beautiful, mother. I like his hair, I want some of it," Jezebel replied simply before turning again and gazing at the boy in awe. At the moment, he was swirling the content of his cup as he stared into it, looking lost in thought. His broody nature only endeared her the more.

Jabhal's laughter was sharp enough to cut through Jezebel's enthralled thoughts. "His name is Ahab, the first son of King Omri of Israel."

A Prince.

Her smile broadened as her interest tripled. What? He even appeared more handsome, all that princely air. A dreamy sigh escaped her lips.

Jezebel stepped back with a surprised gasp. Surely, there was no way he saw through the filmy material. She placed a hand over her racing heart and sighed when his eyes swept over their location with disinterest. He looked dreadfully bored as he tapped a finger on his goblet and played with a small hoop earring that hung from an ear.

I'll save you.

"Well, isn't that pitiful?"

Jezebel turned to Jabhal with a slight frown. "What is, mother?"

Jabhal shook her head then gripped her arm. "Come."

Dragging Jezebel along, she didn't slow her pace as they walked past the corridor of her father's palace. Jezebel took in slow breaths as she struggled to keep up. Mother was cross for some reason and she had no intention of increasing her ire.

When Jabhal shoved her into her lamplit chambers, Jezebel stared up at her in confusion.

Jabhal's ruby-encrusted gold necklace swayed as she bent to her daughter's eye level. "Look at your reflection!" She stabbed a finger in the direction of the mirror behind Jezebel.

Jezebel obeyed, staring at her flowing dark hair, kohl-lined grey eyes, and oval-shaped face.

"What do you see?"

"I see myself and you, mother."

"Wrong!" Jabhal spat through clenched teeth. "Listen to me carefully. You are a princess, the daughter of King Ethbaal of the Sidonians." She swept her daughter's long raven hair away from her face and brought her lips close to her ear.

"You are royalty, the most beautiful amongst your sisters." She whispered fiercely. "You are never to fawn over a man, no matter how handsome. We are stronger than that--we are the ones who wield the power of Baal himself. We control our emotions and not the other way round. Do you understand?"