Part One: 33

"They will be searching for surviving prophets," Agate said. "We must keep those in the caves safe. About seven thousand others are scattered across the land. Reinforcement always comes just when they are needed."

Though it had gotten quite windy at the cliff, the elements did not affect them. Their robes did not ruffle or hair whip about in response to the breeze. From their position, they could oversee the vast stretch of the entire land, make plan, and observe to see if the enemy would come about any new move or trick.

Olivine's eyes were focused on the direction of the temple. "What about Jireh?"

"He isn't dead... yet," Garnet said simply. He ran a sparkling white stone over the edge of his blade then lifted the weapon for closer inspection. "That's good news, yes?"

Olivine turned to Agate, wondering why the lead angel was still silent about Jireh. His face appeared solemn even as he read and re-read whatever was in the latest scroll that arrived that night.

"Don't look at me like that." Agate sighed and rolled the parchment back in place. When he met her gaze, she saw a hint of worry there. "Jireh is only one man. The lives of over seven thousand have been entrusted to us."

"So we just leave him to die?"

"The fact that he is still alive beats me." Garnet paused his sharpening. "You forget he was a chief instrument in ushering the darkness we are presently fighting off."

"But he is on the path of change."

Garnet shrugged. "Even with that, keeping him alive would cost us."

"How?"

"It's in the scroll. If you go after him, there is a possibility you would be dislodged." Agate said with sadness in his eyes. "Don't you see? To let yourself be dislodged in a bid to save only one is not quite wise. A greater number? Sure. But one?"

"Am I permitted to go after him?" Olivine asked. "Did the instructions bar me from attempting to save him?"

Agate sighed. "Don't do this."

"Just tell me."

"Jireh might be useful in the future. But I want you to understand this, even if he were to die, it barely changes anything." Agate threw the scroll above his head, making if disappear with a wink. "You did good by giving him the band, it will protect him."

"What if they make him take if off?"

Agate and Garnet exchanged a look but remained silent.

"Just tell me if the instruction in the scroll prevents me from attempting to save Jireh."

"Our order is the same. Serve and protect," Agate said, voice resigned.

"Then I am going."

"Not surprised," Garnet said in a banal tone.

"It was in the scroll that you would choose to go after him." Agate shook his head again. "You know it will be a while before you-"

"Please, just let me do this. I cannot leave him there... I can't."

Just then, a lone figure came riding off the hidden path that led to one of the caves. It was Harel. He sped away on a donkey, heading straight for the city gates.

"And it all begins to fall in place." Garnet snorted before standing and sheathing his sword. "He thinks he's finally escaping trouble. Ha. Foolish human."

After Garnet stretched, he walked over to Olivine and rested a large hand on her shoulder. "The choice you made does not come as a surprise. I mean, it's exactly what the Holy One would do-going after that one. Just"-he paused and looked around, seeming to search for the perfect word- "Just be careful. Never let them get the best of you. Take down as many as you can. And..." He squeezed her shoulder lightly. "Show no mercy."