Part One: 36

The first thing Jireh saw was a high roof. He stared for a moment, then blinked and fought to pull his thoughts together. Something tugged at his legs. He glanced down and frowned when he saw Olivine. She was at his feet, humming as she uncoiled a rope.

"Glad to see me?" She met his gaze before a slow bright smile lit her face. As he mirrored the action, his throat closed up. He blinked repeatedly. Why was he so relieved to see her?

"Where have you been?" His voice scratched on its way out.

"Here and there." She gestured with both hands. "Can you sit up? You lost a lot of blood back there."

When Jireh did as she said, he moaned. He gripped his head as a racking ache bloomed across his forehead. He shut his eyes tight, battling the pounding pain. "What happened to me?" He managed to ask.

"You don't remember?" She sounded as though she was moving but he couldn't hear her footsteps.

Rubbing his eyes, Jireh finally braved opening them and looking around. His breath caught. People were littered all over the floor—even the queen. Panic seized him.

"The queen is dead. No, no, no." He stumbled to his feet. "And the king's mother too? I am dead... dead. How did they die? Who killed them? Did I kill them? But I can't—"

"Relax," Olivine said with a chuckle. "They passed out, would be awake in a short while." She stepped away from the figure she was hunched over and observed him. "You still can't remember what happened?"

"I—"

"Was supposed to happen to the queen and her devouts and not you." She scratched her chin, appearing in deep thought. "I hope Devani didn't—"

Jireh swerved as the memory came rushing back. "Devani was here... a-and the little girl. Oh no." Dread swept through him as he recalled all of it. "It happened again."

"Jireh."

"I did it again. What have I done? I should be dead. See—" he pushed back the sleeve of his robe "—I cut myself..." Frowning in confusion, he stared at his wrist. "It's—I don't understand. I cut myself, I saw it."

"Jireh."

His attention snapped to her. The figure she stood over groaned then rolled to her back.

"Devani?"

"Yes, Devani."

"H-how?"

"I would love to stay and tell all there is to tell but we have to leave now."

Jireh rushed to Devani's side and almost did not recognise her when her shawl fell away. The only white hair in sight was a few strands at peak of her forehead. Her gaze was unfocused as she stared at him with matching grey eyes.

"Your eyes—"

"You're alive—"

Their words came at the same time. A sense of excitement and awkwardness assailed him. Suddenly selfconcious, he looked away. 

"Come on."  At Olivine's whine, they both straightened. "The girl is over there. Once I wake her, we would walk out through the door at the back." She gestured for them to follow.

The daze returned. Though Jireh was aware of Devani walking beside him, and soon after the little girl and Olivine, he still could not get it grounded in his mind that everything happening was in fact truly happening.

They made it out without a single worshiper or guard in sight. The small sense of optimism in his heart swelled. Maybe he was free after all. He took in a long breath and nearly smiled, then he remembered his cousin. Jezebel threatened to kill him and Hannah—