Chapter 27: Not You

Night eye was glaring at midoriya as he walked up to him.
"What do you mean with that face you're pulling?"
"Wh—"
"It must be a shot aimed at the fact that I was once all might's sidekick..."
"Ah, no, that's...!"

"All might has no such wrinkles there!" night eye was knit picking at midoriya's face.

You were confused with what was going on.

"The wrinkles around his eyes are around 0.6 cm, and 0.8 cm during his silver age. In this day and age, unlicensed all might goods are made with differences between his different appearances throughout the ages in mind"

Midoriya was still having his face disordered.
"Ah, w-wait...!"
You did see for yourself that night eye did have a lot of all might goods. There were even some goods that weren't for sale.

It's not surprising to see that he's a huge all might fan. But this surprises midoriya, because he never knew there was someone who was truly dedicated to all might as he is.

"I am quite displeased. You may leave now" night eye turns away.
"...do you know of...the vinegar suicide incident?" Midoriya asks.

This grabs night eye's attention as he stops his steps and looks towards him.

"Of course I know of it. It was before my time with him. A special episode of "looking back" on NHA tv touched on it briefly"

"That's it That's the one! There was no villain in that incident, and compared to his other works it's nothing spectacular. It doesn't even show up in fansites but I really like it...especially what he said after the kid thanked him, it was so witty..." midoriya was getting all giddy from talking about all might with another all might fanatic.

"I should be thanking you for making my skin look ten years younger" night eye says.
"Yes that's the line! The skin line!"

Night eye got pretty annoyed with midoriya's response.
"Why you insolent...are you testing me?"
"Ah! No, no, no...! It's just that we have all might with us at school now, so it's awkward to be so direct talking about him...so I just got a little hyped up rencountering the story"

Night eye took a moment to examine midoriya and went into thought.

"...the crux of that incident was that student's home life" he said.
"Yes, That's right! It really makes me reflect on the importance of words"

How long will these two idiots take...

Night eye sits down on his desk.
"So you say you wish to intern at my agency. In order to become stronger, you are at present"
"Yes, please take me!"

Midoriya pulls out the contract.
"The school contract printout sir! I have it for you to stamp—!"
"I bid you not to interrupt me. The moment I stamp my seal of approval, the contract goes into effect"
"Yes sir!"

Midoriya places the contract on his desk.
"If I tried to move forward at the same pace as everyone else, then I'd never reach for the top...!"

Night eye stared at midoriya for a moment of thinking. Then as he lifted the stamp, he missed, not stamping the paper.

"...Uhm...you missed" midoriya said.
"Yes, because I have no intentions of stamping it"
"What?!"

"I understand fully well that there is indeed merit in you working here for you. But what is merit for me, hiring you. How exactly, do I profit from accepting you into our group without delay? Just what do you have to contribute to society? How would you be of benefit to others? If you want me to acknowledge you, you must show me"