The Emperor's Edge 3: Chapter 8 Part 3

Start from the beginning

“I don’t see anybody,” Maldynado said.

“Me either.”

Intermittent metal doors marked the outside wall, too many for her and Maldynado to watch. Amaranthe took a guess at which one corresponded with the corridor Basilard had gone down and tried it. It did not budge, nor did it have a lock on the outside one might pick. A single pull-bar handle rose from a sea of brass rivets and steel.

“No way to pick the lock, huh?” Maldynado asked.

Amaranthe knelt to examine tracks in the earth. Dozens, if not hundreds, of people had been in and out of the door that day, so they told her little. A dirt trail led to the wider road ringing the stadium.

“We’re smart though,” Maldynado said. “We ought to be able to figure a way in.”

“Got an idea?”

Amaranthe touched a long gouge in the earth. Was it her imagination, or did that look like the sort of mark that might be left if a couple of men were dragging another?

“Lots of ideas.” Maldynado grabbed the pull-bar and heaved for all he was worth. Muscles strained beneath the thin fabric of the back of his shirt, but the door did not budge. He released it with a growl, then kicked it.

“Watching your mind work is always a pleasure,” Amaranthe said.

“Because it’s unique?”

“Something like that.” She pointed at the gouge. “I think they may already have him.”

She trotted to the opposite side of the road and examined the ground. If kidnappers had dragged Basilard out of there, they would not have stuck to the main path where witnesses would be many. Even now, a pair of female athletes was jogging along the road, warming up for the upcoming races.

Half-crouching, half-walking, Amaranthe searched for unusual prints. Too bad Basilard was the one missing; he was a great tracker.

“Afternoon, ladies.” Maldynado swept his hat from his head and dropped into a low bow when the athletes approached.

Amaranthe expected him to ask them to accompany him somewhere for drinks or other activities, but he stayed on task.

“Has either of you seen anything suspicious out here?” he asked.

One of the women eyed Amaranthe, who was still poking at the earth, looking for tracks, and asked, “Aside from you two?”

“Yes.” Maldynado offered a sparkling smile, the kind known for making the most standoffish ladies swoon, and the women’s visages softened. One blushed. “Anyone dragging an athlete across the grass, for instance,” he said. “Or a towel boy roaming around where he shouldn’t be?”

“Oh!” The blushing girl sidled closer to Maldynado and laid a hand on his forearm. “On our last lap, we did see a young boy standing at that door.” She pointed to the one Maldynado had tried to open. “It looked like he was beckoning to someone in the woods. I didn’t see anyone, and he ducked back inside when he spotted us.” She gazed up at Maldynado and batted her eyelashes. “Does that help?”

Amaranthe shook her head in bemusement. At times, Maldynado could be downright useful.

“Tremendously, dear,” he said. “Thank you.”

“We should go, Reeva,” the girl’s companion said. “Our race starts soon. If you don’t want me to win again, you should probably be there to compete against me.”

“Win again?” Reeva released Maldynado and propped her hands on her hips. “You only won last time because that stupid warrior-caste girl tripped and took me down with her.”