Introduction

In the tenth century there lived two families. One that bore seven children and another that had three. Both families were equal in values and power.

The two families were the Mikaelsons and the Alvisons. The mothers of the families were great friends as well as the fathers. The children all grew up together. Treated one another as family.

Until one of the Mikaelsons was killed by a werewolf. Both families were devastated. The parents knew that it was only amount of time before all of their family would be killed by these beasts.

They begged the witch Ayana to assist the mothers in creating a spell to protect both families. Ayana denied their request so the mothers had to do it themselves.

They called upon the Sun and the ancient White Oak tree for power. That night the fathers gave their children wine that was laced with blood and they killed each of their children.

Then they made them each drink blood.
This was how the first vampires were made.
Of course the families, with a spell that large, faced terrible consequences.

The Sun was no longer a friend and it tormented the families.

The tree that gave then immortality could also take it away.

They had to be invited inside of the homes they used to be welcomed in.

They were feared by the villagers that once envied them.

But the worst consequence was the blood lust. The families were forced to drink the blood of others to survive and most of them enjoyed it.
Some chose to fight the cravings and other chose to embrace it.

Then, the family realized something devastating.

The mother of the Mikaelsons and the father of the Alvisons had an affair years before the Alvisons had children.

When the Alvisons and Niklaus Mikaelson made their first human kills they were forced into their transitions into werewolves.
When Mikael found out about Esther's affair he killed Alvis, their father. Esther was forced to bind Niklaus' werewolf side. But the Alvison children were not bound. They learned to control their turning and their bites became lethal to fellow vampires. 
But there was more.

  They were also witches.