Chapter 15

Mason

Steam rose from the stainless steel mug, that rested soundly in my hand

Steam rose from the stainless steel mug, that rested soundly in my hand. It had the luxury of relaxing better than I had, in years. Sighing, I watched patiently, as others jogged passed me, and some just happily mosing around carrying on with their splendid afternoon. Whilst I, sat glumly, I blankly stared into an oblivion, anguished from my past transgressions. Over the last decade, I've seem to watch my entire life fall apart. My father was sentenced to life in prison, my wife, as well as my best friend were brutally murdered. And the only son I ever knew, was now in prison, who is nine times out of ten going to be on death row. Everyone at work is proud of me, my mother thinks I'm a hero. Yet for the life of me, there was this tug at my heart, and a thought that hasn't ceased to cross my mind, that this isn't over, it's just the beginning. To my avail my off days never truly felt like off days, before Klein was finally apprehended, I spent every waking twenty four hours relentlessly building a solid proof case. Taking every advantage I could find to bring him in safely, because that's all I ever wanted was to get him off of the streets, just alive, and well. But now that it passes my mind, I wonder if that was really my best bet, maybe I should have gone the other way around. Vindango seems to be the bigger threat these days, maybe I could have used him, maybe I could have saved Dayton, maybe I could've saved my brother, and protected Abriel better. The funny thing about living, is that you learn, and contemplating maybes, never change the outcomes, I can't go back in time. I can't save Hilayna, or Khai, I can't change Klein, I can't prevent Dayton from dying. All I have, is a heavy heart, and an overbearing mind, slowly raising the mug to my lips, I drank; the only thing I can do now, is to get that son of a bitch Vindango, and the clock is ticking, I have to do it now.

An odd feeling shot at my thigh repeatedly, rolling my eyes I reached for my phone. I knew better than to hope it'd be Kassaundra, not caring to check who it was, I answered. "He's up, and asking for you, so get your ass over here." Abriel urged, but before I could respond elated by the news, I was hushed by the dial tone.

"I'll be there." I mumbled into the nipping air, taking another five minutes to myself, I raised to my feet, and headed to the hospital. The perks of living in downtown Miami, I could comfortably walk to the places I needed to go. Work was less than ten minutes, and the hospital five tops. Inching through the crowded park was a task though, so that added to my shrinking time. I was actually excited to see my brother, I'm more than grateful he's alive and well, a solid shot through the neck sent him on a ninety day spree of life support. It was tough seeing him like that, I had to stay away for a couple of weeks, it hit me too hard. All I could see with him laying there was Khai, Klein, Abriel. A repetitive scene, that I can't manage to get away from, a haunting curse with no hope for a cure, and it was called life.

I ran to the main entrance of the hospital, and opted for the stairs, instead of the elevator. Room 2509, the critical care unit, I lost Hilayna in room 2508, at 5:52AM, I guess my tragedies never seem to stray too far from each other. Making an appearance I watched my mother fill with joy, and run to my arms, "he's going to be alright honey, bless the lord, oh bless him!" I smiled shyly, holding her small frame tightly, her blonde hair blinded my view, she released me slightly, and squeezed me once more. "I love you boys so very much." She professed, relieving myself of my tension, I relaxed in her grasp.