Chapter 1

Detective Mason Carter

       The bullet pierced my skin gruesomely

The bullet pierced my skin gruesomely. Ripping through my muscle tendons, and tissue, like a new baby tearing through its mothers womb. I gripped my paining arm. Screaming in agony, I set the pain aside, I had to focus, a measly shot to the shoulder wasn't anything. It wasn't something I couldn't fight through, looking down the ledge I took the leap. I could've taken the stairs, but that requires too much time.

Time, I had no option of wasting.

Hitting the ground, I booked it. An annoying voice rang in my ear piece, "What the hell are you doing, Mason?"

"My goddamn job, I mean remember the one you, and I signed up for?" I cut the corner to the Main Street, exiting Little Havana.

"You have no back up, chasing after one of the most dangerous men in America. Mason, wait, let us get to you, you're shot."

"Klein Masthers, is not the most dangerous man in America. He's a coward, a smart coward, who's luck is about to run out. As for me I'll call you when the time is right, but right now, stop fucking bitching at me Richey. Go eat a snickers or something."

"Mason-," Cutting off the little fancy device I came towards a vacant building. It looked suspicious, convincing almost, that Klein would run in here. Hoping I would follow and there'd be this great big epic shootout, but I know Klein, he doesn't like to hide his confrontations, he likes to put on a show. Since he was 12 years old he's been on my radar, street fighting, drug dealing, and cutting school.

I got called down to the school just for Klein, I was the only adult he'd talk to while his parents were at work, unable to attend his school hearings.

"Why'd you do it Klein?" I seem to always ask him when he gotten in deep with his devious ways. He'd just give me a shrug, and look at me with the most lost green eyes, that made me fear for him. When you looked at Klein, then and now, the odd stare in his eyes would give you chills.

He wasn't afraid of anything. He had no remorse for anything he had done, he seemed to reflect our own bad intentions, through himself. Terrifying those who aren't well aware of themselves to the core.

But he never scared me.

Often times Klein would get community service. I'd stop by after a shift just to get a conversation in, I made it my mission to get to know him. Kudos to me for my curiosity, if I had not gone out of my way, I wouldn't have gotten to him now. I'm going to catch Klein, it was what I was made for, and sent here to do.

There's always a beginning, and an end to all things great. I met him at the beginning, and here we are in the middle. I know that I will catch him, but Klein always has a way, to rearrange the end. For some reason, the kid always had the favor of some supernatural lord on his side.