Chapter 22: Weakness

Start from the beginning

   The master vampire sighed, silence quickly falling upon the room. Then: "Make sure that our visitor does not arrive before our plans can become reality," Robert commanded, directly staring the relatively older vampire in the eye. Gavin nodded once, if stiffly. "And if Antoinette or my brother get in the way?"

   "Let them."

   Before Gavin could process his thoughts on the words of his ultimate master, Robert laughed, if a bit maniacally. "If all goes according to plan, I'm sure those two will be in the absolute thick of it all. Right where I want them to be."

***

   The usual feeling of consciousness – I've been unconscious way too many times, apparently – welcomed me, and I managed to exhale sharply as memories and physical signs became painfully apparent as they surfaced. My body ached, specifically my arm. The arm that Stephen had-

   I bit my lip to hold back a cry as the pain and images came back to me full-force. Now I was awake, completely, my eyes open wide. I took in my surroundings, the familiarity of them, with quick rendition and realized that I was back in my apartment; in my own bed, to be specific.

   Strange.

   The sheets felt soft and silky against my unnaturally sensitive skin. Admittedly, I didn't feel as terrible as I'd assumed after pulling through a near-death situation with a psychotic newborn vampire. I let out a prolonged sigh before glancing across the room. The place was empty, per usual.

   I suddenly felt the urge to find Henri, allegedly spurred on by the Mark so freshly put upon my skin. It tingled slightly, and I managed to calm my raging heartbeat, if just barely. That's when I realized that I wasn't wearing much beneath the thin, comforting covers that blanketed my body: just a bra and matching panties. Huh.

   Okay, I wonder how I got into this... Henri. Avoiding the anger that had surfaced instantly, I risked a glance down at my arm; the one that had been injured.

   Well, emphasis on had.

   No scar, no bumps... nothing. The flesh of my arm had been repaired thanks to Henri, and I smiled slightly. Drinking the vampire's blood held consequences, I knew that well by now. Thing was, I didn't care what happened between that vampire and me. I didn't care if our moral differences – not to mention physical ones – were humongous. I didn't even give a shit if it was dangerous; this relationship, that is. My uncle had said something about Henri's trouble with the clan... did the vampire know he wasn't exactly square with the others in the big city?

   If he did, why didn't he act afraid?

   I wiped my eyes of sleep, drawing my upper body against the singular pillow. My mind was far from at ease, although my body was a nice little contradiction. I felt relaxed, but also insanely restless for some reason. Was it because of my encounter with my uncle and Stephen? Stephen's death?

   Thoughts of the murderous newborn brought me to my next problem: Stephen Church was no more; dead in the absolute vampire sense. His Father would no doubt be heartbroken by this news, but appear noble to the others. Maybe he'd even thank me for restoring safety in New York – a completely laughable concept if you ask me – but deep down, he'd hold a grudge. I'd stopped the killings... right? Everything should've gone back to normal.

   Yeah, I didn't believe that either...

   Almost absentmindedly, I searched for my phone, which sat on the bedside table within easy access and reach. Checking for possible messages, I came across plenty from Ethan and Clary, demanding to know my location, of course. Most were the simple: 'Where the Hell are you?! Text me back!' However, one made me stop and actually think. The text had been from Ethan, and it'd been sent not ten minutes ago.