Chapter 20: Stakes Not Included

Start from the beginning

   He quirked a confused eyebrow at me, his eyes scanning my face shrewdly. "What's so funny?"

   I shook my head quickly. "Oh, nothing. Uh... good morning, fang-face."

   "Good morning, little hunter," Henri greeted with a fanged grin. "It's not dawn quite yet." He was close enough to lean my back against, so I took the opportunity. "How close?"

   "A little over three hours."

   I turned to face him on the comfy mattress, a sigh lightly passing my dry lips. "I should probably get home." I had to make sure Ethan was safe. Checking my phone again, there was nothing from him. That sure didn't mean that he was simply asleep.

   Then again, at around 3 in the morning...

   "This has been great, Henri," I admitted with a cheeky smile. "Crashing here for a while, you and me cuddling like some cheesy love couple... It's nice, really. But I should probably get home now."

   Henri looked about ready to protest, but he changed his mind at the last possible moment. "Do you want me to drive you home?"

   "This close to dawn? I don't think so," I replied hotly and sat up, giving the vamp a playful smile. "Besides, it's almost your bedtime, Mr. Vampire. Shouldn't you be a vamp-zombie soon?"

   Cold hands wrapped around my abdomen, securing me to the spot. I shivered, but it wasn't from the sudden chill that fell over my body.

   "Don't forget that I'm stronger and older than most vampires," Henri stated, smirking with just a hint of fang showing. It made me scoff harshly. "Don't be so arrogant, Mr. Sinclair. Arrogance leads to dominance, and dominance is an ugly trait in my eyes."

   Henri kissed my forehead, boggling my mind with his sudden sweetness. He leaned down to whisper close to my ear. "Did you just call me arrogant?"

   "You heard correctly."

   His grin became wicked. "Oh, Ms. Drake, the rules apply to you, too."

   "I'm not arrogant," I gaped at him.

   "No, but you like to be dominant." I couldn't believe what he'd just said! Oh, the context threw me for a loop, that's for sure. "Huh? I do not!" I snorted loudly. "I have no idea what you-"

   "Tell that to the bed covers." His laughable words forced me to look at the bed we were both in. All of the covers were bunched around my body, and Henri had none on his side.

   "Whoops."

   "Cover hog."

   "Hey, it's not like you need them. You don't need to regulate your body temperature." I rolled my eyes. "You don't get cold, Henri."

   Henri laughed and pulled me closer, until his body was pressed up against mine. "You're right, I don't. Not when you're here."

   I felt a blush creeping up my face, and did my absolute best to try and hide it, turning my face from him.

   "So, can I drive you home?"

   "Sure, why not?"

   It took me around 5 minutes to get ready, and then we were off in the Mustang. I ended the journey knowing for sure that I'd see him against at sunset.

   "Until sunset," I reminded with a wave of my hand before Henri disappeared in a blur. I thought I heard Henri echo my salutation, but I couldn't be entirely sure. It still made me unusually happy, which must've been the effects of the Mark. I didn't care, either way. I felt good. I'd see Henri again when the sun went down.