Chapter 17: Risk-Taker

Start from the beginning

   "You hate Henri for what he did to you," I pointed out, finally getting it all. "What he did to your family."

   "He disgraced the Church name, and he's been nothing but a danger to humans ever since." Hyacinth stood and handed me the crumpled picture. It was of her son, I guessed as soon as I looked down at it. Jeremy Stone looked nothing like his Mother, but he looked normal enough to play human. Was he still a vampire? How come Henri never told me about this?

   Maybe he didn't want you to know about his dark past, a voice at the back of my head whispered to me.

   I stood up just as Hyacinth turned to leave. "Henri Sinclair will be captured."

   "You can't do it alone," she warned. "It's too risky now with all of the deaths he's responsible for. Just keep an eye out for him, okay?" I nodded firmly, and the silver-haired woman left my sight. I didn't stay at the Agency for long. I remained to get some more weapons, and afterwards made up my mind.

   I'd go to The Wolfsbane Rubies later tonight. I'd get answers from any and every vampire that I came across.

   Whatever the cost.

***

   "You came all this way just to see me? You really shouldn't have!" Gavin purred as soon as he saw me walk into the heavily-populated nightclub. It was a Saturday night after all, and I'd gotten in with no trouble whatsoever.

   Gavin must've had something to do with that.

   I tried to pass the glaring vampire, but he swiftly grabbed onto me and spun me around until our faces nearly touched. "So, sweetheart, what are you doing here?"

   "Well, if you must know," I huffed, trying to calm my raging heartbeat. "I'm looking for excitement, Gavin, but I don't think you really fit into that category."

   The vampire laughed and dug his nails into my bare shoulders, causing me to wince. "You're words wound me, ma princesse." Gavin dragged me further into the club, farther and farther from any possible escape. "Excitement? May I ask why?" he pondered just as he pressed into me harder, causing me to let out a hiss of pain, not to mention discomfort. I wouldn't let him hear my screams; it was what he wanted.

   I laughed a bit to hide my fear. "My life's too damn depressing. I need a little adventure and danger every once in a while."

   Gavin grinned suddenly, his fangs lengthening before my eyes. "You've come to the right place, then." He leaned in some more, so that his lips coincided with my ear. "You'll pay dearly for what you did to Giselle. If you didn't happen to be my master's niece, I'd kill you instantly." To prove his terrifying point, he pinned my hair to the side, and leaned down to lick my neck. "You're afraid now, aren't you? God, you hunters smell so good when you're afraid. How's this for excitement, sweetheart?" He inhaled deeply and stiffened suddenly.

   Well, crap, he could smell Russ on me. Did he know? Had Henri told him?

   As soon as the vampire placed the scent, he chuckled. "So my brother wasn't lying. You have been a naughty girl, little hunter, haven't you?"

   "Henri... Henri told you?" I barely managed. Gavin might've said that I was staying in one piece, but he could be unpredictable at times. I couldn't trust anything he said.

   "I'm not here to apologize for killing your slutty sire, Gavin," I grumbled and pushed at the vamp's hands. His gaze darkened. "Why are you here, then?"