Chapter 13: Annabelle

Start from the beginning

    I wanted to believe him, I really did. Something was off; something important.

    "So, if she kissed you just to make me jealous, then why did you feel passion toward her?"

    Henri's eyes narrowed, and he finally met my gaze. "She's my sire, Antoinette. She Marked me before I became a vampire."

    "So, what, you're still connected to her?" I questioned, brow furrowed. "Does the Mark even last that long?"

    "Depending on the attraction between sire and the sired," he explained softly, almost sadly. He regretted his love toward Giselle, I realized.

    "Anyway, Giselle kept me under her spell long after she turned me. I never loved another until you."

    I had to look away now. I could easily be compelled into believing Henri's story. Plus, his words had struck a cord in my aching heart. Henri could be so romantic... Crap! Don't lose focus!

    I sighed. "So, the kiss was all her doing, and the emotions were an instant reaction due to your bond with her?" I'd made it all sound negative. Henri thought so, too. "That's not what I'm trying to-"

    "Forget it, Henri, I'm done listening," I announced, pushing the door until all I could see were his eyes. "Your time is up. Goodbye." Then, I slammed the door in his face. His presence left, and I could breathe again. I leaned my head against the locked door, and started to sob uncontrollably. It was one of the only times I'd lost control of the tears.

    I hated it.

    The Mark was confusing me so much, playing with my very emotions constantly. I had to learn more about it. So I could be rid of it someday. That would stop the pain that kept driving itself into my body and heart every single time I thought of Henri Sinclair.

***

    "Wanna tell me where we're going, or are you just going to leave me in the dark?" I asked Ethan the next morning as he pulled me from my room and down out into the early sunlight.

    Being the middle of November, it was getting relatively colder in Manhattan, so I was actually thankful for the long-sleeved hunter uniform that I had on. Ethan's was a mirror of my own, and he looked downright... sexy in it.

    My friend took me to where the Mustang was parked. Instead of being overjoyed at the sight of it, I felt a little depressed. The Mustang had been a present from Henri...

    "Since you never tell me about your missions, I don't feel like telling you mine," Ethan retorted mysteriously as he slid into the driver seat. I gave him a pointed look as I took shot gun, albeit reluctantly. "It's not my fault that I take the extremely dangerous missions!"

    Ethan only snorted. "Right. Well, where we're going is a surprise."

    "Is it a birthday present?"

    Ethan frowned a bit. "Nope. Better." What could be better than that? My parents back from the dead? My sister human again?

    "You're not just saying that?" I asked slowly, eyes going narrow.

    Ethan laughed as he started the car. "I'm totally just saying that, Drake, you know me."

    "I do, I really do," I murmured with a smile in agreement. The Mustang started for downtown, but we were heading east instead of north. Hmm. So, we weren't going to the Agency...