Chapter 11: Bloody Birthday Candles

Start from the beginning

   Soon, I was heading down the chilly stairs that led to the noisy terminal. Hot wind blew in my ears, making me go temporarily deaf. Good thing all I needed were my eyes to find the entrance to the Agency. I found the door that led down to HQ, and opened it easily. The first floor was empty of hunters. Had I missed something? A memo, maybe? Or maybe this was a prank. Ethan would've told me if it was, wouldn't he? Only Stephen and Stephen alone would want to pull this shit to embarrass me on my birthday... so, what was going on, then?

   "Hello?" I called, looking in a few office space cubicles. They were empty. I was about to give up on this level and travel lower into the Agency when I heard a small, soft noise that sounded like a whispering voice.

   What the Hell?

   "Where is everyone?" I exclaimed, expecting another whispered answer.

   Instead, a mess of voices rang out in unison: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

   I yelped in surprise and spun around. Ethan and about five other hunters were standing at the entrance of my cubicle, grinning from ear to ear. Micah was among them, while Stephen was thankfully absent. Ethan pulled me in for a hug, a tight one that squeeze the air out of me. "Did we surprise you?" he laughed in my ear as he pulled away, still grinning.

   I gave him a half-hearted glare. "More like scared me, Frazer! I thought there was actually something wrong, you idiot!"

   The others laughed, and moved aside for me as I entered my rarely used office space. I barely ever came here, since I was always in the field on a mission, but I had made myself at home, regardless. The small desk was crammed with unused office supplies that were just for show, as well as picture frames, a wolf-themed calendar, among other things.

   The only new object on my desk that looked out of place was the two-layer homemade birthday cake: a double chocolate double-decker with vanilla frosting – to balance out the chocolate – and decorated on the face of the cake were the words, written in red icing: "HAPPY 18TH, TONI!"

   I briefly wondered who had baked such a masterpiece; it was spectacular, after all. I wanted to cry; I'd never felt more special. Ethan must've put it all together. It was such a sweet gesture.

   In the time it took us to divide and devour the delicious birthday cake, I had forgotten my troubles with the clan, with my uncle, with Henri, Kira, and even Russ. I was surrounded by my friends, my human friends.

   We celebrated for an hour, until Stephen came to ruin it all. "Hey, enough partying, everyone. Those missions won't be accomplished by themselves," he snapped as soon as he saw the empty plates and crumbs of cake. I heard murmurs like "party pooper" and "he ruins everything". I hated to say it, but Stephen was right. We had work to do.

   Ethan came over to me once Stephen disappeared again. "Hey, Toni?"

   "Yes, Ethan?" I put the plastic plates and forks into the nearest trash bin.

   "I told the Order about our situation with Lily's body, and they've chosen Clary and I to head to The Wolfsbane Rubies and retrieve it."

   Somehow, I knew the Order wouldn't let me near Lily's body; mostly because I was the one who let her get killed. I sighed. "Thanks for telling me. You two have fun."  

   Ethan's eyes narrowed at my words, and he quickly shook his head. "I doubt it." He looked away. "So, what are you going to do for your birthday?"

   "Honestly, I don't have plans," I admitted almost sourly. "I didn't really have the time to think about turning 18 for the last few weeks. I've been busy."