I don't blame him. I imagine it would be incredibly uncomfortable watching the person you like on a date with someone else. At least I hope it will be.

"There's only one problem," Liam declares as we approach the table.

Shocked at the direction of this conversation, I momentarily pause. Was this the moment he would finally admit the truth to me; that he liked Sophie?

"Ethan likes you. He spent most of today asking questions about you. He told me all about your date tonight and how he wanted to impress you. When you messaged earlier about dinner, I assumed you had canceled because you were so unsure about him," Liam expresses in concern.

For the first time in a long time, I'm at a loss for words. Realizing we can't continue this conversation without an audience, he stomps past me and takes a seat at the dimly lit table. I'm stunned by the revelation that Ethan wants so badly to make a good impression and by the fact that he is currently holding a chair out for me. I panic, dodge him and the chair, and choose instead to sit directly across from Liam.

"Thank you." Sophie smiles as she settles into the seat, having assumed that it was meant for her.

"You're welcome," Ethan replies after a second, keeping his obvious confusion to himself.

Once Ethan is seated next to Liam and directly across from Sophie, he looks across the table to me in contemplation. I try to keep my expression as blank as possible. I refuse to let him see the inner-panic and anxiety I'm currently feeling. The intensity of his glare makes my heart thump harder in my chest. My body's reaction to him is complicating my situation even more.

"So Ethan, I understand you work with Liam," Sophie says, breaking our staring competition.

Turning to Sophie, his full lips form an easy smile. "Yeah, I'm a marketing coordinator. Liam and I have been working together for a little over a year."

Liam nods in agreement.

Sophie politely smiles.

I play with my fork in a bid to calm my nerves.

"And what do you do?" Ethan asks Sophie.

"I'm interning at RXY Media as a research journalist."

"That sounds interesting."

"It can be. My job is to find the truth in every story which means I work long hours for virtually no money. I enjoy it but my dream is to eventually become a reporter."

"And you will. You're amazing at what you do." Liam interjects.

"Thanks, Liam." Sophie blushes and looks down at the red and white chequered tablecloth before her.

Liam can't hide his admiration as he looks at Sophie. Given how Ethan gazes between the two of them, I think he notices too.

"So, how do you two know each other?" Ethan asks while gesturing between myself and Sophie.

"We met at a mutual friend's birthday. Char was there with the guy she had been seeing on and off. I heard yelling in the lounge and found her confronting him about hitting on a random girl. She broke up with him in front of everyone." Sophie states, laughing at the memory.

Ethan's smirk in my direction has me narrowing my eyes at him, "I can imagine it perfectly."

"He was a dick who deserved it," I say pointedly. 

Ethan sarcastically nods in agreement, "I'm sure he did."

I stare him down with the most hatred I can convey. He matches my stare with a playful grin. I try to convince myself that the reason my blood heats is because of my anger and not my need to kiss that stupid grin off his face. Sophie's voice pulls me from my thoughts.