Rescue

Percy

When I woke up I saw a dead Annabeth.

I'm just kidding, okay here's the real thing.

When I woke up my head pounded and I hoped I didn't have a concussion. I blinked again, trying to make the pain go away. I sat up and was about to ask what was going on when I noticed the sphinx, and Annabeth fighting. What the heck happened here?

I tried to stand up, but it hurt a lot, I tried not to make a sound, so I wouldn't draw attention to myself.

I stayed down, getting ready to get up if I needed to, I reached for my sword after Annabeth stabbed the Sphinx and the Sphinx scratched her. They watched each other while they both breathed heavily, they still hadn't noticed me yet.

The sphinx charged Annabeth again, but because of her injury she was slow and the sphinx tackled her to the ground, her knife flew away from her hand, she was defenseless.

I ignored the pain as I got onto my knees, I felt myself almost wanting to throw up, but I held it in. Definitely a concussion. I stood up, and my knees didn't wobble that much. I held up my sword and staggered over to them.

The sphinx said something to her and went down to bite her. I brought up my sword and stabbed the sphinx. The sphinx yelped and then turned into a puff of smoke.

"Annabeth you okay?" I asked, she was breathing heavily and her eyes were closed, but she opened them when she heard me.

"Not really," she said, her voice cracked, and she let a tear slip down her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked her and laid down next to her so I was looking up at the never ending blackness.

"What's wrong?" She asked, anger filling her voice. "What's wrong?! What wrong, Percy, is that I'm in Tartarus, for the second time. Do you know how messed up that sounds? It's pretty messed up, even by demigod standards. There's a whole army of monsters blocking our way out, we don't know where the heck the forgotten god is, we're all hurt, I almost just died, and, Percy, I just want to go home."

Her voice cracked on the last word as she started to cry. She leaned into me as the tears kept rolling down her face. I whispered reassuring words to her as her crying started to stop.

She's at up and wiped her face, "sorry."

"No, it's okay," I said, telling the truth. "We all need to have a mental break down at some point in our life."

She smiled a little, "thanks."

"No problem," I said and tried to sit up, but then I remembered about my head and gasped as pain shot through my body.

"Are you okay?" She asked quickly.

"My head," I said and put my hands onto my head, and groaned.

"One second," she said and scooted over to her bag, she searched through it and brought out some ambrosia and a bottle of what I'm guessing is nectar. "Here."

I took the piece of the godly food and stuffed it in my mouth, the pain started to go away, but just a little stayed, so I took the tiniest sip of the ambrosia and the pain went away. I sighed, but then realized Annabeth had a cut too.

"You should eat some," I said and took another piece of Ambrosia out if the packet.

"No, it's okay, the cut isn't that bad, we should save it for someone else," She said and pushed the piece I was handing her away.

"Your acting like me now," I said held it back up to her face.

"Oh, no," she said and smiled, but ended up taking the piece of ambrosia anyway.

"Hey guys," said Frank, who had just woken up.

"Hey," I said to him.

"You guys should sleep now," he said to us.

"I don't think we can," Annabeth said. "And anyway we've stayed here to long we should get going."

I nodded. Other monsters could be around here and the ambrosia and nectar gave me some energy.

"What is going on?" Asked Artemis as she sat up.

"We're moving," I said and stood up, a wave of dizziness swept over me but it was gone as quickly as it came.

"But what about you guys? you need to sleep," she said, a confused expression of her face.

"We're good, really," I said.

"Fine, let's pack up," she said and started gathering our materials.

Once we were done, we headed on our way, towards the brass fortress, to that army of monsters. As we walked my head started to hurt again. I waited a little while longer, in till it hurt like hades, to ask for ambrosia.

I made my way to the back of the group to Annabeth, "do you have anymore Ambrosia?"

"That was Artemis's bag, ask her," Annabeth said.

"Okay," I said and made my way to the front. "Hey do you have any ambrosia I could use?"

"Why?" Artemis asked.

I hadn't thought of what to day to this question, me and Annabeth decided not to tell anyone of the Sphinx, I didn't know why she wanted to keep this a secret, but what ever.

"My arrow wound hurts," I said and pointed to my bandaged shoulder.

"Okay," she said and too her bag off of her shoulder as she continued to walk.

I searched around her bag and found the Ambrosia. I took a piece and the pain melted away, "thanks," I said as I handed her back the bag.

"I want to talk to you about something," she said.

"Um, okay," I said and stayed next to her.

"You know, when we kissed," she said.

"Oh," I said, I had completely forgotten about that. "Yeah."

"Did we do it because we liked each other, or did we do it because we were sad, and hurt, and desperate?" She asked and looked at me like she really wanted to know the answer.

I thought about it, did I really love Artemis, or was I just trying to make myself feel better? When I looked at her do I feel like everything is better because she's here. I glanced up at her brown eyes and then looked back at Annabeth's grimy face and I smiled.

"We were sad, hurt, and desperate," I said, and looked down. "I'm sorry."

"No need to be sorry," she said and changed back into a little nine year old girl. "I like being a maiden."

I moved back to my spot behind Frank in our line. I felt horrible, I might have just broken a goddesses heart.

"Are you okay?" Frank asked me.

"I guess," I said.

We all walked in silence for a while longer, all of us lost in thought. When made it to a clearing, we decided to stop and rest.

I sat down next to Frank, be jade I really didn't want to talk to Annabeth or Artemis.

"So," Frank said. "How's it going?"

"I guess okay, accept for the fact we are in Tartarus," I said and played with my sword.

"Yeah, but really how is it going?" Frank said.

"Not good, my friend, not good," I said and sighed.

Suddenly I heard a growl and I shot up to my feet, "what was that?"

"What was what?" Frank asked, still on the ground.

I heard the growl again and Frank got up next to me.

"What's going on?" Annabeth asked as her and Artemis walked over to us.

More growls could be heard and Annabeth held up her dagger,"that's what's going on."

We stood like that holding out our weapons when 6 large hellhounds came out of the darkness.